Question Monitor randomly goes blank with NO SIGNAL sign

vedankp

Reputable
Oct 8, 2020
I've has this setup for about 3 years and it has worked smoothly with no problems. Recently the display blacks out with a no signal sign and one of the fans inside cranks up ( im not sure which). There's no fixed time for it to happen either. Newbie here but I thought maybe it could be the thermal compound wearing out?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

Please post your entire system specification including PSU make and model.

thought maybe it could be the thermal compound wearing out
No this wouldn't cause this. Excessive temperatures could, but that wouldn't solely be down to thermal paste. But I wouldn't jump to it. But do check your CPU and GPU temps under load whilst you're at it.

vedankp

Reputable
Oct 8, 2020
Welcome to the forums!

Please post your entire system specification including PSU make and model.

No this wouldn't cause this. Excessive temperatures could, but that wouldn't solely be down to thermal paste. But I wouldn't jump to it. But do check your CPU and GPU temps under load whilst you're at it.

Intel(R) Core i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz
Nvidia GeForce 1060ti 6GB
Asus H110M-K Motherboard
240 gb western digital ssd and 1tb hdd
HyperX fury 8GB RAM
corsair vs450 450 watt psu

I've turned on logging for gpu-z I'll tell you what I find the next time it crashes

vedankp

Reputable
Oct 8, 2020
edit: I forgot to mention that the first time this happened, windows started freezing at the login screen. After which I performed a clean install of windows.
I checked the logs when the gpu crashes, everything seems consistent until the gpu just turns off (i.e every gpu related value in the logs are 0 or null). Do you think clean reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers (DDU) will help?