[SOLVED] Monitor randomly loses signal when playing graphically intense games for a few hours

Sep 6, 2019
Recently I just upgraded my gpu to a MSI Armor RX 570 4gb OC edition card, but for unknown reason its start to randomly loses connection to the monitor for a few minutes whenever I play graphically intense game for more than 4 hours. The monitor just went black screen, but everything else is working just fine.

I checked the core temperature of my gpu with open hardware monitor and it only peaks at 78 degrees celsius, so I assume its not a cooling problem. I also reinstalled the graphic driver but the problem still remains. I even did a memtest and pass it with not issues at all. I also checked my bios version and confirmed its the latest version already. Now, I'm out of ideas and hope that anyone here can help me.

Here my specs:

Intel I5 3470
8GB Ram
MSI Armor RX 570 4gb OC edition
Corsair VS650 80+ white
Window 7 Ultimate SP1

Solution
Based on what you said, its more that I brought the wrong psu than a faulty one so I'm not sure that the warranty cover customer mistakes.
That isn't a customer mistake, just bad quality PSUs are more likely to faulter, the issue is still with the manufacturer. Well yes, put it this way, if your particular PSU is faulty, and you returned it for another VS, would the new VS work? Yes, it more than likely would, it's just it's a budget line. That isn't really made for heavier load systems.

it's more a risk factor, not that it black and white does or doesn't work. It's why here on the forums we always recommend PSUs of a certain quality for gaming and heavier load rigs. Protects your system for longer and more efficiently.

So in...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Is the RX570 brand new or used?
Typically this could indicate PSU or GPU (being as you've already eliminated temperatures) have you checked CPU temp too?

The VS series are not a good quality series of PSU, so this could well be a problem.

Sep 6, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Is the RX570 brand new or used?
Typically this could indicate PSU or GPU (being as you've already eliminated temperatures) have you checked CPU temp too?

The VS series are not a good quality series of PSU, so this could well be a problem.

The gpu is 100% new, since it came with the box sealed tight.

For the PSU, I not sure what do you mean by it is not a very good quality psu, since iirc that I did saw a few reviews before buying and most of them said that its an ok budget psu so I'm pretty sure its fine I guess. Not to mention that the psu was only 3 months old.

But, still thanks for the help.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The VS series is indeed a budget PSU, and most budget PSUs are not made for gaming/heavier load systems. Myself and many others on the forum have had countless experiences with the VS series causing instability when not used in the right rig.

For example, it does not have DC-DC, lower quality caps, and rated at a lower operating temp. Budget and PSU often don't go hand in hand. It's why many of us tend to recommend the Corsair CX as the minimum to go to. Cheap PSU = cheap components inside it. The PSU is responsible for reducing interference, converting the AC to DC, regulating and stabilising that output, so it is one of the easiest things to cause instability.

The VS series are Corsairs lowest quality PSU, becuase they're aimed at budget rigs.

So realistically the original point kind of stays the same, a signal cutting out is typical of a faulty GPU or PSU. I would be swapping the GPU first, obvioulsy I would say run on iGPU, but ultiamtely running games won't induce the same load as the GPU is usually the biggest draw on the PSU, so the way to eliminate it would be to swap the GPU and see if the issue persists.

Are you able to run Furmark and see if the black screen persists?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019
Are you able to run Furmark and see if the black screen persists?

If you mean one of the preset setting than is I can, I also use custom setting to my rig at the highest setting possible and it pass with no problem. If you mean the stress test setting, then I haven't yet try it, since I heard people said that setting is only used for people who OC their gpu and wanted to test their setting for instability.

Since we are talking about stress testing, I also ran my rig with Kombustor and Heaven which both ran fine without much problem.

If what you said is true about my psu, then is there anyway to test it and see if it really the problem? If it is the problem, then can I do something about it without buying a new psu, because I'm not really ready to buy another new psu when the one I had now was only 3 month old.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you mean one of the preset setting than is I can, I also use custom setting to my rig at the highest setting possible and it pass with no problem. If you mean the stress test setting, then I haven't yet try it, since I heard people said that setting is only used for people who OC their gpu and wanted to test their setting for instability.

Since we are talking about stress testing, I also ran my rig with Kombustor and Heaven which both ran fine without much problem.

If what you said is true about my psu, then is there anyway to test it and see if it really the problem? If it is the problem, then can I do something about it without buying a new psu, because I'm not really ready to buy another new psu when the one I had now was only 3 month old.
If it's only 3 months old it will be covered by warranty anyway. Computer components tend to have at least 3 years on them. Don't worry.

And no you can't repair a PSU in that sense. It could well be the GPU just we can't eliminate other components.

No easy way to test a PSU unfortunately, easiest way would be to use a different GPU of same power draw in your system and see if the issue persists.

Also had you covered the temperatures from my question before?

Sep 6, 2019
If it's only 3 months old it will be covered by warranty anyway. Computer components tend to have at least 3 years on them. Don't worry.

Based on what you said, its more that I brought the wrong psu than a faulty one so I'm not sure that the warranty cover customer mistakes. Besides, even if the warranty did cover I don't think another new psu of the same series is going to change much if what you said above the whole VS series psu are not suitable for intense gaming use is true.

Also had you covered the temperatures from my question before?

Do you mean cpu temp? It is in between 65-73 degrees celsius when under load, 30-40 degrees when idle.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Based on what you said, its more that I brought the wrong psu than a faulty one so I'm not sure that the warranty cover customer mistakes.
That isn't a customer mistake, just bad quality PSUs are more likely to faulter, the issue is still with the manufacturer. Well yes, put it this way, if your particular PSU is faulty, and you returned it for another VS, would the new VS work? Yes, it more than likely would, it's just it's a budget line. That isn't really made for heavier load systems.

it's more a risk factor, not that it black and white does or doesn't work. It's why here on the forums we always recommend PSUs of a certain quality for gaming and heavier load rigs. Protects your system for longer and more efficiently.

So in reality, it's just a case as you may be more likely to have to replace it sooner rather than later, but I'd rather be running on the VS temporarily that some unbranded unknown or Thermaltake Smart series PSU. It's just I and many others have seen the VS series cause this kind of issue (as well as many other PSUs) albeit the newer ones are better, but not good enough that any enthusiast would still use it on a gaming system.

As I said, may not be the PSU, but without spare parts to test, they become difficult to diagnose. But i would sooner look at GPU if you are losing signal. Just we can't eliminate PSU (or any other component) from the culprits.

The clear memtest makes me much more confident that memory isn't the issue, so I would look at GPU or PSU on the hardware side.

Solution
Sep 6, 2019

So in reality, it's just a case as you may be more likely to have to replace it sooner rather than later, but I'd rather be running on the VS temporarily that some unbranded unknown or Thermaltake Smart series PSU. It's just I and many others have seen the VS series cause this kind of issue (as well as many other PSUs) albeit the newer ones are better, but not good enough that any enthusiast would still use it on a gaming system.

As I said, may not be the PSU, but without spare parts to test, they become difficult to diagnose. But i would sooner look at GPU if you are losing signal. Just we can't eliminate PSU (or any other component) from the culprits.

The clear memtest makes me much more confident that memory isn't the issue, so I would look at GPU or PSU on the hardware side.

Thanks for the explanation and your help on my problem. Although the problem still stands, at least now I have some idea of what is going on now.

Currently I can't test which of the two hardware psu or gpu is the cause of problem since I don't have the necessary spare parts to test them.

Now I guess I'm stuck on playing my game on low-medium setting or I can try to pray to the machine god and hope my rig will fix itself natural overnight.