Question Monitor randomly loses signal

May 5, 2019
So, I've ran into a problem that started around two days ago where my monitor will randomly lose signal but the PC continues to run normally (I can still hear YouTube videos or people talking on Discord), I simply thought this was my DisplayPort being dodgy so I swapped it out for a new one but nope, problem still arises.

What I've done is:

1. Used a new DisplayPort cable
  2. Used a different port for the cable
  3. Tried a different monitor
  4. Flipped the PSU switch to off and unplugged everything
  5. Fresh reset my PC entirely
  6. Reinstalled new drivers
Has my GPU or Power Supply gone bad?

Here are my specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz 36 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (14-14-14-35)
Motherboard
MSI B150M BAZOOKA (MS-7982) (U3E1) 28 °C
Graphics
ZOWIE XL LCD (1920x1080@240Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 29 °C
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1SB102 (SATA ) 31 °C
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD)) 28 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

May 5, 2019
So, I've ran into a problem that started around three days ago where my monitor will randomly lose signal but the PC continues to run normally (I can still hear YouTube videos or people talking on Discord), I have to restart my PC for the display to come back but who knows when it'll cut out again, it can range from 30 mins to 7 hours, it can vary and I simply thought this was my DisplayPort cable being dodgy so I swapped it out for a new one but nope, problem still arises.

What I've done is:

Has my GPU or Power Supply gone bad?

Here are my specs:
Operating System:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
PSU:
Corsair RM850x
CPU:
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz 26 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM:
Motherboard:
Graphics:
Storage:
Optical Drives:
Audio:

So you are saying it happens on a different monitor as well as the one you normally use?
The reason I ask, is because there is a known problem with DP and some monitors where it just doesn't sync and you need to disconnect that monitor from the mains power and plug it back in after a few seconds.

May 5, 2019
So you are saying it happens on a different monitor as well as the one you normally use?
The reason I ask, is because there is a known problem with DP and some monitors where it just doesn't sync and you need to disconnect that monitor from the mains power and plug it back in after a few seconds.
Yes sir, I tried my 144hz monitor and it did the same thing after a few hours, so I just plugged my 240hz monitor back in.

May 5, 2019
stick with 1 thread. don't spam the forum
So, I've ran into a problem that started around three days ago where my monitor will randomly lose signal but the PC continues to run normally (I can still hear YouTube videos or people talking on Discord), I have to restart my PC for the display to come back but who knows when it'll cut out again, it can range from 30 mins to 7 hours, it can vary and I simply thought this was my DisplayPort cable being dodgy so I swapped it out for a new one but nope, problem still arises.

What I've done is:

Has my GPU or Power Supply gone bad? Maybe the current NVIDIA drivers are faulty and I have to revert or wait for new ones?

Here are my specs:
Operating System:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
PSU:
Corsair RM850x
CPU:
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM:
Motherboard:
Graphics:
Storage:
Optical Drives:
Audio:

May 5, 2019

What I've done is:

Has my GPU or Power Supply gone bad? Maybe the current NVIDIA drivers are faulty and I need to revert or wait for new ones?

Here are my specs:
Operating System:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
PSU:
Corsair RM850x
CPU:
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM:
Motherboard:
Graphics:
Storage:
Optical Drives:
Audio:

May 8, 2019
Hello, I'm having similar issues right now, where I will lose signal on my monitor and my fans will run much faster than they normally do. I haven't resolved my issues yet but I figured I would post here to see if I could share my experiences and see if that'll help either of us out. Do your fans run much faster than they normally do when your monitor signal goes out?

My system is an i5-6600k @ 3.9 GHz, EVGA 650W Gold power supply, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM, ASUS GeForce 6GB Dual Fan OC Edition GTX 1060 graphics card, WD Black 1 TB HDD @ 7200 RPM (6 Gb/s w/ 64 MB cache), CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler/heat sink, some fans from a previous case as well as Rosewill 120mms, all in a Rosewill ATX Cullinan MX Mid Tower w/ RGB LEDs (when I have one of these "crashes" where my monitor loses signal, the LEDs on the fans still operate normally). I have a ACER R240HY monitor (1920x1080 60Hz).

The circumstances under which I experience a "crash" are somewhat random. It first happened twice in mid-April while playing Outward, then not again for two more weeks. After that point it's been happening with increasing frequency. Since those two crashes during Outward, the only other time it has crashed while playing a game was when I tried to play Fortnite yesterday, and while in a menu I tabbed out to open up Discord, which caused the monitor signal to go out.

I just recently came across another potential source of my problems, however. I use a Hyper CloudX headset, and it appears they've been causing some crashing issues as is discussed in this Reddit thread. Do you happen to be using a Hyper CloudX headset as well? This seems like a potential cause.

The majority of my "crashes" have happened after playing games, not during them. One time I had Discord open and could talk with a friend while it happened--I also had computer audio while I was experiencing crashes in Outward. This makes me suspect that there might be some commonality in the sorts of crashes we are experiencing, or at least that we're having similar crashes with differing causes.

I haven't done quite as much to my system yet in an effort to fix things. I haven't tried a new monitor, HDMI cable, reseated the graphics card, tried plugging and unplugging things from my motherboard/graphics card, fresh reset my PC, or done a total driver uninstall. I do plan on doing all of those things if testing with the headset doesn't work out. I should ask--when you uninstalled drivers, did you do it with the Display Driver Uninstaller program? That seems to be the most popular and effective method of doing so, but maybe you didn't need to after your fresh reset. Speaking of which, can I ask which of the reset options you went with out of the provided options?

The most similar thread I've been able to find besides yours, where someone reported having their screen go black and their fans freak out was here. This person has had their problems fixed by checking their connections again.

I made a Reddit thread on my own issues just recently, though it hasn't received much attention. Maybe looking through my account there will help too.

My plan is to first investigate the headset potentially being the culprit here. Then, open up the PC soon and take a look around. After that, going to do a total driver uninstall. If that still doesn't fix anything, then I'll be doing some sort of refresh to my PC. If none of those work, then I might make the assumption there's some sort of hardware problem going on and my graphics driver and/or motherboard may end up being replaced. I also have realized in working on this that my fan speed (ASUS GTX 1060 6gb) is constantly at 28%, which may be relevant, and that I have never manually updated my motherboard's BIOS since I purchased it. I got all of my computer parts (except for the case, which I purchased and moved things into last fall) in the fall of 2016, so there's seemingly a possibility of hardware failure by this point, even though I generally make an effort not to stress my PC/graphics.

One other thing you might do is use the program on your PC called Event Viewer, and see as to whether or not there's some sort of relevant error showing up there.

Thanks for posting your own troubles, hopefully my account here will help you out. Please let me know if you figure out a solution or something relevant to your own problems, to perhaps help me out in turn.