Question Monitor randomly losing signal

dansantos047

Commendable
Oct 22, 2018
Before all, sorry for my bad english.

I have a really annoying problem. Sometimes, out of nowhere, the monitor loses sign, no matter if it's on gaming, internet browsing or just sitting idle. I know it's not a driver problem, because this happens even if i go to the BIOS setup or unplug the HD.

When this happens, i have no options other than reboot the machine. But sometimes, the PC turns itself off and on instead of rebooting, which makes me suspect that there's a short somewhere on the GPU:
View: https://youtu.be/3Le6bvZfbzY

I've checked the RAM and the temperatures, they are OK. Updated BIOS, cleaned the GPU and the contacts, switched thermal paste, but no effect. If i remove the GPU, the system works normally.

I've also set to log using HWiNFO64.

In this one occasion, the GPU related prints show a drop in the usage. It almost seems like that the GPU loses communication with the PCIe when the video goes off.

In the other hand, the CPU related ones show a increase in usage.

And there's those other prints.

The only thing left is to check the voltages of the PSU with a multimeter, which is around 3 years old.

Last edited:

dansantos047

Commendable
Oct 22, 2018
UPDATE: I've cleaned the PSU and measured the voltages of it. The voltages are okay, nothing abnormal.

I hope not, but i think that either the PCI slot or the GPU itself are dying. I'll try to borrow another GPU to test.

Mar 6, 2021
I have the same problem. Only with an Asus R9 390x. The older HD7970 is fine in the same system, which has a Corsair TX850Gold PSU. I did try reinstalling audio and video drivers, flahsed the BIOS for the M/B and the GPU, refitted the GPU, & the RAM. Changed the cables. Still happens and randomly, not only when stressed. Doesn't happen if I go back to the old card. Very frustrating as when it works, it works well. May have to give it up and accept it's a dud of a card.

ASK THE COMMUNITY