Question Monitor Randomly losses signal . PC is still running tho and audio still working.

Apr 12, 2020
Hey everyone,
I've had this for sometime now, and i spent a lot of hours trying fix it, but unfortunately nothing worked.

So what happens is, i be doing literally anything , browsing, playing games or even attending classes, and randomly the monitor turns off and shows no signal forcing me to force shutdown the PC and restart it. After the restart it might keep doing fine for like 20 minutes before losing signal or it can lose signal it less than a minute, it is so random , i just can't get it.

I've read a lot of articles about the issue and i can't really say if it is a dead GPU or a PSU.

Note that I've tried switching to the Integrated GPU " Intel HD Graphics 3000 " which completely fixes the problem and the monitor never loses signal.

Fixed that I've tried till now are :
  • I've re-seated the GPU.
  • Changed the PCie slot
-Deleted all the drivers using DDU in safe mode and installed them once again
-added the TdrDelay file in the the Registry Editor.
-Switching different HDMI Cables.
-Tried to limit the performance of the GPU in MSI Afterburner literally to the lowest possible. ( as well as trying both highest and lowest power limit and pretty high fan speed )

- View: https://imgur.com/a/tVJW0Gc
-

• Changed the power setting to all the available plans. ( Power Saving - Balanced - High Performance )
  • Installed all windows latest updated.
  • Cleared the BIOS CMOS.
Absolutely nothing of these fixes worked or even changed the GPU's behavior.

Also note that I've checked and ran a Fur-Mark stress test and the highest temp the GPU reached before cutting signal was 46 degrees.

I don't know if that's related but random application can show Very high power usage in task manager for no reason ( am not sure if that's related to the issue. )

In case you need it, the specs are :

CPU : Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30 GHz 3.70 GHz
GPU : Gigabyte Windforce GTX 750ti 2GB VRAM
Motherboard : Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 Sniper M3 Z77 LGA 1155 Micro-ATX motherboard
RAM : 1x8GB DDR3

Am really desperate for help, at least making sure that the problem is in the GPU not the PSU.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times when the monitor lost signal.

Forego DDU.

Go to the manufacturer's websites to manually download the drivers. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Apr 12, 2020
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times when the monitor lost signal.

Forego DDU.

Go to the manufacturer's websites to manually download the drivers. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Am sorry for the late response, any way, the PSU is an AeroCool AX-500 500 Watts , I've had it for less than a year now , and regarding the condition am not really sure how to judge that but i was just inspecting it, and it looks definitely clean.

For the reliability history , am not really sure what's going on but here's a picture of what is shown ( i encountered the problem 2 - 3 time today so ye these are pretty recent )

View: https://imgur.com/a/GRXSs0e

Actually i did try that before using DDU, I downloaded the latest available drivers from NVIDIA's website and installed it using the clean installation configuration. ( It had no effect in fixing the issue what-so-ever ).

Apr 12, 2020
The most common issue i found in the Reliability History was " Desktop window manager " - Stopped Working.
Well , i made my research on fixing it and it was doing the sfc scan, so I did it, and guess what, didn't work. The GPU still cuts signal, and the Reliability History still shows the error.

Ralston18

Titan
"sfc scan" well worth the try.

There is also "dism" to try.

Did you click "View technical details" or otherwise right click for more information regarding the errors?

Windows not properly shutdown and things that suddenly stop working (resulting in the "not properly shutdown" entry) are, to me anyway, a sign of a faltering PSU.

And all the more so when you look at both the varying errors and the "classification" of those errors according to the line labels at the right side of Reliability History.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Then check that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are all fully and firmly in place.

If the problem continues then use Resource Monitor or Task Manager (only one at a time) to observe system performance. Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using that resource.

500 Watts may be okay or enough. However if the PSU is hitting some threshold wattage value while underload, regardless of the applications being run, then some power starved component will stop working,

Apr 12, 2020
"sfc scan" well worth the try.

There is also "dism" to try.

Did you click "View technical details" or otherwise right click for more information regarding the errors?

Windows not properly shutdown and things that suddenly stop working (resulting in the "not properly shutdown" entry) are, to me anyway, a sign of a faltering PSU.

And all the more so when you look at both the varying errors and the "classification" of those errors according to the line labels at the right side of Reliability History.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Then check that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are all fully and firmly in place.

If the problem continues then use Resource Monitor or Task Manager (only one at a time) to observe system performance. Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using that resource.

500 Watts may be okay or enough. However if the PSU is hitting some threshold wattage value while underload, regardless of the applications being run, then some power starved component will stop working,

I think that windows wasn't properly shutdown is probably me using the restart button in my case to restart the PC , windows counts it as a false proper shutdown.

That's the GPU in Task manager on IDLE .

View: https://imgur.com/a/AwdnvdZ

am going to launch a game and monitor it for some time

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
It is September 23 now and problem still haven’t been fixed, couldn’t identify if it is a GPU problem or a PSU or even something else.. guess I’ve a long way to run fixing it ..