Question Monitor reconnects whenever going full screen?

CarlHindsgaul

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2012
Help an ignorant neighbor in need!

I have Nvidia GTX 1080ti on a fully updated windows 10 pc.
The video card is fully updated (and the problem also occurred before the recent update).
My monitor reconnects (i.e. turns off/on for a second) whenever going full screen (both in chrome, when launching games, when going fullscreen in vlc, etc.).

Do any of you smart and knowledgable angles know why that is?

CarlHindsgaul

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2012
Thanks for replying!

Here they are:
Windows 10 pro 64 bit
Intel i5-7500 CPU 3.4 GHz (4 CPUs)
DDR4-2133 8GB RAM
Direct X 12
Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ROG Strix
PSU Corsair VS550 550W 80+
MB1151 Asus H110m-a m2 matx
CPUK Be Quiet Pure Rock Cooler (Slim)
HDS 1000 GBSeagate 7200 rpm

CarlHindsgaul

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2012
Hey Titan,

I don't quite follow you because I am not quite savvy enough, but I think I follow you - however, what do I do about the problem?

EDIT: I thought "titan" was a username (lol). This was a reply to Invalid Error

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
If it is what I think it is (software calling for display mode changes) then it is actually normal and the only thing you could do about it is going through your software's settings and see if you can disable things that may cause mode changes so all software uses the same display options for everything and not cause mode changes. Conversely, you could disable the software's ability to change some display options such as by forcing vsync from GPU drivers, disabling HDR in Windows so applications cannot turn it on/off, etc.

CarlHindsgaul

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2012
Cool, but even opening a non-fullscreen windows actually makes it turn on and off (I just found out). And it used to not do any of these things. So I definitely think something wrong is going on.

But maybe I can alleviate the problem by following your method, or maybe even solve it, by making changes in the Nvidia controlpanel maybe (if so, which settings do you suggest changing?)? Do you have any other suggestions as to where I could make general changes for software (instead of changing settings in each specific program - pretty much all programs do not have those options I think :/ ).

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Opening what non-fullscreen windows? Media players may still trigger a switch between HDR on/off regardless of full-screen status unless you disabled HDR altogether / don't have that. If you are having the issue opening trivial things like Task Manager or Explorer windows that use whatever the desktop is set at like normal applications (non-media/3D) usually do, then something weird is going on.

CarlHindsgaul

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2012
I think it was Tidal. I mean you are probably right but I mean, it is not supposed to do that switch so often?

I do not think I have HDR, at least in "Windows HD Color Settings" it has a list of "Display capabilities" that says "Stream HDR Video, no" and "Use HDR, no", and "Use WCG apps, no".