Question Monitor reporting "No Signal" above 60hz on 1440p using DisplayPort cable

Nov 12, 2021
I have had ASUS VG27AQ monitor for a few months, and recently it started black screening.

It has displayed 1440p 165hz (OC) perfectly fine up until now. I have tried turning off the OC and running 144hz, but it didn't help.

I also have a second monitor running 1080p 60hz, and have tried isolating the troubled monitor by disconnecting the second one, but it also didn't help.

It is plugged into my graphics card, with the DisplayPort cable that came with my monitor.

I have also tried 3 different DisplayPort cables, all with the same behaviour as described in this post.

I have tried turning off everything and unplugging everything , replugging everything, turning it all on, to no avail.

The thing is, sometimes it will work, and that is when it is set to 1440p 60hz. Any hz above 60 will get the Displayport: No Signal error.

It can run 1080p 120hz for some reason. but it looks blurry and less than 1080p.

I am at a loss and frantic googling has not gotten me anywhere in 3~ hrs.

Hope someone can help :)

Nov 12, 2021
My system specs are:
Motherboard: ASUS Z390-F ROG Strix
CPU: i7-9700K
GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 ROG Strix
PSU: Corsair RM850X (2021)
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
NVIDIA Graphics driver version: 496.49 Release date: 10/26/2021

Feb 17, 2022
I have a very similar ASUS monitor that has this issue too! It’s a 1440p 165Hz monitor.

I have a 1070, and it worked perfect for years, then in early 2021 it started to have this display problem. I have tried every troubleshooting option possible. The weirdest thing about my issue is that I can enter BIOS and boot in safe mode (so no nvidia display drivers) and the DisplayPort works. As soon as I install a display driver, it breaks and says “no signal”.

I am certain that there’s a problem with nvidia display drivers and specific ASUS monitors. I have even tried older legacy display drivers and they no longer work. It may also be a windows update problem, but I can’t really roll back windows easily.

my PC works on a second Samsung monitor that is 1080p with display port, so I know the issue is specific to ASUS 1440p >60Hz monitors.

I’d love to hear if you find a solution. Tho only solutions I ever see on the internet are people power cycling their monitors
I’m starting to go insane cause I can’t fix it and nvidia/Asus have both been unhelpful despite it being clear the fault lies with their software.
I’m sick of only being able to get 60fps via HDMI :(