[SOLVED] Monitor Resolution Compatibility

drewmeister11

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Hello, I think this should be an easy question, I just want to make 100% sure as to the answer before I make any purchases.

I am currently looking to replace my old monitor (an old 1360x768 TV screen). The problem is that my current laptop ( gp75 leopard 10sek ) has a recommended resolution of 1920+1080. I have no complaints with this at the time, but the issue comes when I consider the fact that in about a year I plan to buy a new computer capable of much higher (4k) resolution. As such I want a monitor that can take full advantage of any computer upgrades I make, so at a minimum, I'd want a 3840+2160 resolution screen.

I want to make sure that, were I to buy a monitor with 3840x2160 resolution that I could scale at least my games down to 1920+1080 without it looking blurry or distorted. My Nvidia settings say I can use 'Dynamic Super Resolution' to run at 3840x2160, and while I assume it should work fine in reverse I just want to make 100% sure it will. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Solution
That dell does support 4k res and hdr however it's only 60Hz and is lacking greatly in responce time at 4ms, you should be aiming to get 1ms or even lower. As to refresh rate itself it is quite important, higher value makes whatever you are doing the monitor look much better and more fluent which is very eye pleasing. Difference is very noticable between 60hz and 100hz or above hence even smatphones nowadays come out with 120hz screens.
I honestly think if you are running on a budget here you're much better off with full hd monitor that has + superior refresh rate and reaction time than 4k one lacking in those. Like I mentioned 4k monitor would be more of a long term (pricy as well) investment with future pc/laptop upgrade in mind. To...

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
If scaling is the main thing then you should avoid 2,5k and other veird resolution monitors like fire. If you want the safest option then just stick to full hd/1920x1080. Assuming you're buying smthing form possible further use (good even after upgrade) a 4k (3840x2160) would be preferable option. Just be sure to pick smthing with as much refresh rate as your money can afford if you plan on gaming on it. From the ones I'd pick myself are LG27GN950-B, Gigabyte Aorus F or Acer Predator XB323QKNVbmiipruzx V43U (I don't know what size do u want so these are an assumption).

drewmeister11

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Are refresh rates really that important? I have a limited budget and was looking at a Dell S3221QS. Hard to get high refresh rates as well as HDR in that range from what I can tell.

As for what I was looking for, I only have space for a monitor up to around 36". I sit pretty close to the screen so any bigger and I won't be able to see it all. My brother had recommended curved screens and I was hoping to find one with HDR. The Dell one is the only one that seemed to have both, but I guess in hindsight if I don't need a 4k monitor (it IS a bit small) then I might have better luck finding one. However, I can't afford an expensive monitor at the moment. Looking at the 300-400$ range, which I understand does limit me a bit.

Last edited:

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
That dell does support 4k res and hdr however it's only 60Hz and is lacking greatly in responce time at 4ms, you should be aiming to get 1ms or even lower. As to refresh rate itself it is quite important, higher value makes whatever you are doing the monitor look much better and more fluent which is very eye pleasing. Difference is very noticable between 60hz and 100hz or above hence even smatphones nowadays come out with 120hz screens.
I honestly think if you are running on a budget here you're much better off with full hd monitor that has + superior refresh rate and reaction time than 4k one lacking in those. Like I mentioned 4k monitor would be more of a long term (pricy as well) investment with future pc/laptop upgrade in mind. To play games at reasonable settings in 4k it would require monster of a rig.

I cannot say I'm a fan of curved ones but if it tickles ur fancy here are some decent choices to consider:

-MSI Optix MAG322CR
-ACER XZ272Pbmiiphx
-iiyama G-MASTER GB2466HSU-B1
-iiyama G-Master G2766HSU-B1

Solution