Monitor Resolution problem

May 29, 2017
I recently installed a gtx 1050 ti. My monitor was however a VGA one, so I had to get a DVI to VGA adapter, everything works fine except the resolution at first the max resolution supported (after installing gpu driver) was 1280x1024. Even though my monitor's native resolution has always been 1600x900 (60 hz). By fiddling around with custom resolution stuff (CRU), I could get 1600x900 but it wasn't fullscreen, the width wasn't correct. I noticed that it was actually in 59 hz instead of 60, so I changed that and it did the trick.

Now a few games I play stopped supporting 1280x720 (no idea why), when I do that it's not fullscreen instead it's a box inside the monitor (width and height), Many of these games go back to normal after making them 1600x900 which is nice. But the 2 games in particular I've trouble with is Team Fortress 2 and Payday 2. For payday 2, I had to manually find the config file and change the refresh rate to 60 as for some reason it was 59 by default for 1600x900. So that works now, but still worried about it not working in 1280x720. The bigger problem is with TF2, where I don\t even know where to find the config file to change the refresh rate.

The answer that I'm looking for though is that how to fix this as a whole, not just specifically for those games. I wanna know what's the deal, I know it's a problem of the DVI to VGA adapter but is there anyway I can avoid these things? please, let me know!

Jun 9, 2018
Just found a fix, no clue if this will work for you.
When I installed my drivers I had forgot to restart my PC straight after!
Restarting has fixed my resolution, hopefully if you try this it will work. Might be worth a shot undownloading and redownloading your drivers just incase.

May 29, 2017

Are you using an adapter as well? except HDMI to VGA?

May 29, 2017

No, restarting doesn't help, it's something bigger. My normal resolution is fine for now, it's just the ones in game and I think they are overriding with my native monitor settings which are messed up because of the DVI to VGA adapter.

Jun 9, 2018
Got no clue, I posted a help forum like yesterday but got no response.
Perhaps a professional could give you some tips, not sure why but this website seems sorta well dead.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Delete the gfx drivers, reboot, reinstall and reboot again.

It sounds to me like the ini file for the monitor is messed up; however it could be that vga converter is stopping the card from reading what display settings the screen can handle.

Also check the OS screen settings to make sure they are set to the correct screen size.

You have to change settings in this screen.
Aspect ratio - will stretch image maintaining aspect ratio. May have black bars on top/bottom or left/right.
Full screen - will stretch to full screen. Aspect ratio will not be preserved.
No scaling - keeps image centered with black bars from all sides.

NvidiaControlPanel.png

May 29, 2017
Ok so here's what I found out, it seems to be a problem with my native monitor resolution being 1280x1024. Which is wrong and it's because of the vga converter adapter which apparently supports 1280x1024 max. So is the only way to replace it?