[SOLVED] Monitor says "no signal" although PC turned on

D

Deleted member 2761709

So I'll provide the components of my build first:
  • AMD Ryzen 3 3200g (with included CPU cooler)
  • MSI B450M Gaming Plus
  • Adata XPG SX6000 Lite MVMe SSD
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (2*8) 2666mhz (planning to OC it to around 2933mhz)
  • Seasonic 12II 520w (or someting like that I can't remember the full name)
  • TP-Link WN881D Wi-fi Card
  • No Graphics Card because I don't need it, I don't do heavy gaming, I plan to use the iGPU in the Ryzen 3200g which should be enough. Also I'm on a pretty tight budget so yeah

So here's the thing: I have an AOC E2270SWN used monitor from my older brother, and it uses a VGA port. Since I don't have a graphics card I opt to plug the cable to the mobo. Unfortunately, the mobo I have does not have a VGA port (I know I should have thought of that before building it myself, this is my first time building a PC so mistakes are unavoidable). So I bought an HDMI to VGA converter. I do know that it has to be an ACTIVE converter to be able to work, but the seller said nothing about it being active or not. And my worst fear came when I connected to the motherboard but the monitor said "no signal".

I started investigating the motherboard, making sure that the mobo is receiving power (which it is because I can see the CPU fan is spinning and the LED fans are lit up), the CPU power cable is plugged in all the way, the SSD is carefully inserted, the RAM sticks are all in. It didn't take a long time because the mobo I have has a thing called "EZ Debug LED" which it will light up if any components are not recognized. For example, if the RAM is not all the way in, it is not recognized and the RAM LED section will light up red.

So it's not really the motherboard's fault I assume. I started to doubt the converter itself, so I tested it using a laptop. The old laptop my dad has has a HDMI port, so I tried to plug the VGA cable to the converter, and then plug the converter into the laptop. And guess what, the monitor worked just fine as a second screen. So I guess it's neither the converter nor the monitor's fault.

So what am I gotta do now? The monitor keep saying no signal and I'm quite desperate rn. Please help

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Im not sure if Ez debug led should be lit for the cpu if bios hasn't been updated yet to accept the new generation Ryzen but wondering if bios has been updated.

Msi do offer flash back feature if bios hasn't been updated. I'll have to check if your motherboard in particular does have this feature to be sure but most Msi boards do.

Yes it does.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2761709

Well I mean my monitor won’t get a signal from my PC so I can’t check if the BIOS version is up-to-date. And if the BIOS version my mobo is currently having does not support Ryzen 3000 series then I can’t even update it because, well, I can’t access the BIOS.

mathiasd.hauge

Commendable
Nov 8, 2018
Try this:
  1. Turn off the pc
  2. Take out the gpu, and put it back in.
  3. Take out one stick of ram. (if you have 2 or more)
  4. Take out the cmos battery, and put it back in.
  5. Turn on the pc.

D

Deleted member 2761709

Noob question: Can you really brick your motherboard by doing something wrongly while flashing? This is my first time and I’m quite nervous.
If so what are the precautions? Thanks
A
Also sorry for replying late, I was busy

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can brick a board if the power goes out or pull the usb stick mid flash. Otherwise its pretty safe. Follow the instructions in the manual and all should be well.

Make sure on the usb stick the bios file isn't in a folder, the bios isn't that smart.

D

Deleted member 2761709

Welp, it worked.
I’m relieved by the fact that I did not wasted my money buying stuff that doesn’t work.
Huge props to boju!
And also mathiasd.hauge which gave me some troubleshooting tips, maybe not right now, but may be helpful in the future.

Reactions: boju