Monitor says No Signal detected as soon as Windows boots

Jul 24, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have two monitors. One is conntected via HMDI, one is connected via DVI. I moved my PC, until I did that everything worked perfectly fine.

Now my second monitor (DVI connected) says No Signal Detected right when Windows 10 starts to boot. When I unplug the monitor it says No Cable Connected, so somehow it still know that it is connected.
For troubleshooting I unplugged the HDMI monitor, so that the DVI one is the only one connected. And it started to show somehting again, I can go into the BIOS and see the windows logo when it boots. Right after it finishes and the desktop should come up it goes black and says No Signal Detected again..

I connected my notebook with VGA to the monitor and it worked perfectly fine too.
I cant find the monitor in any settings under windows, its like it disappears as soon as i reach the desktop.

What could cause such a problem? Any suggestions what could probably fix it?
Thank you in advance!

Ralston18

Titan
Are you using motherboard display ports or PCIe GPUs?

If the latter, perhaps the GPU became loose during the move. Open the case and reseat all cards, memory models, plugs, etc. to ensure they are all fully and firmly in place.

Makes and models? What motherboard?

Joe02a

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2015
Sorry to bump in. But, I think I'm having the same problem.I went from a ViewSonic to a 32" tv for a minute while I got a different monitor. So, I got the ASUS VG245h. I then discovered as soon as it should be loading my desktop, blue screen no HDMI Signal, so I have to hard reset everytime I turn my system then comes on fine. I swapped to check with the ViewSonic, it did it too. So. I blamed the cord that came with the monitor. Swapped the cord and thought everything was fine when I turned the PC back on from off and it followed through all the way to the desktop. But, it's again doing it now, and sometimes when I get to windows and it loads Radeon Settings that tells me how it had to restore default settings, when I haven't messed with them. I've seen other Reports of this, but no solutions. So, I hope if enough of different systems and monitors are reporting then a solution will be found.
WINDOWS 8.1 X64 PRO
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 / FX-4350
SAPPHIRE NITRO RX 460 4G D5 OC
ASUS VG245H / ViewSonic VX2457-MHD 24"

Jul 24, 2018

I'm using a GPU, GTX 970 on an ASUS M5 A78L-M LE/USB3. I will try reseating the card.

One thing i have to add: When i boot into BIOS and only plug in the DVI monitor I can actually go into the BIOS, but the resolution is so big that I can only see the top left quarter of the screen and cant do anything, HDMI works fine.

Ralston18

Titan
First thought: go to the manufacturer's website and download the applicable drivers.

@gmastercfx: are you able to scroll about and see the other 3 quarters at all? Thinking some sort of accessibility setting may be enlarging the screen area.

@Joe02a: What games are you playing. Double check that the games are not configured/pre-configured to use resolutions not applicable to your system. Game changes things and Windows 8.1 "restores" to some non-compatible settings. Also if that does not prove helpful - please start a new thread and update accordingly. Thanks.