Monitor says no signal, DVI/VGA issue

andrewh47

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Hello all,

This is my first computer build and my monitor says “no signal”. I have recently been troubleshooting this issue for the past few days and have found no answers.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard: BIOSTAR B350GT5 AM4
Processor: AMD RYZEN 3 1200 4-Core 3.1 AM4 socket
RAM: Patriot Viper Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4 2400MHz DRAM
GPU:MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirectX
SSD:Silicon Power Slim S60 2.5" 60GB SATA III

My motherboard appears to have full power, all of the leds are on and no lights are flickering; the fans from my gpu, power supply and processor fan are all running.

This is where I believe my issue is, the connection from the motherboard to my monitor.

My motherboard has one DVI port and one HDMI port.

I have two monitors that I am switching out to get a connection with. The first monitor has one VGA slot and I am using a VGA to HDMI adapter to connect it to my motherboard. My other monitor has both a DVI and a VGA port but both of these monitors get no signal when I connect them.

Am I even on the right track or is there another issue with my specs?

Best,
Andrew

Solution
First, your Ryzen CPU does NOT have integrated graphics. Thus, if you're making a connection from the mobo to the monitor, you definitely will NOT get a signal. You need to connect from the GTX1050's DVI to the monitior's DVI port. Second, the GTX1050 outputs a digital signal. If you want to connect it to a monitor's VGA port, you'll need an "active" HDMI to VGA adapter, not just a simple adapter. The active adapter converts the digital video signal to the analog VGA video signal.
First, your Ryzen CPU does NOT have integrated graphics. Thus, if you're making a connection from the mobo to the monitor, you definitely will NOT get a signal. You need to connect from the GTX1050's DVI to the monitior's DVI port. Second, the GTX1050 outputs a digital signal. If you want to connect it to a monitor's VGA port, you'll need an "active" HDMI to VGA adapter, not just a simple adapter. The active adapter converts the digital video signal to the analog VGA video signal.

Solution