[SOLVED] Monitor screen flickers and computer turns off and on

eZpZ

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
Hello,
yesterday i got a graphics card upgrading from my 750ti to a rx570. i also got 144hz monitor to use as my primary monitor to go with my 60hz monitor. i installed my graphics card and turned my pc on which worked. i was following a guide on youtube on how to upgrade your graphics card and mentioned getting a software called DDU which i downloaded and ran. after running the software both of my screens went black and wouldnt do anything so i turned off my pc to see if that would help. however my pc just turned off and on repeatedly. so i opened my pc and swapped the 6 pin pci-e cables as there are 2 and i figured that i had put in the wrong one. after
this worked and so i ran ddu again and downloaded drivers for everything and deleted the old ones. and then i played some games where i noticed the screen kept flickering. when i turned on my pc today my pc did the turning off and on thing once again and i turned it off at the back and turned it on and it worked. but i have noticed that my 144hz monitor screen flickers regularly and im scared that my computer isnt gonna turn on tomorrow because of the turning on and off thing. i read something to do with power supply not being high enough but mine is 550 and amd says 450 powersupply is good.

to sum it up. computer turn off and on repeatedly when i turn on and monitor screen flickers

Solution
What are your system specs? and make and model of PSU.

The RX570 is recommended minimum to have a 450w PSU, it also depends on which RX570 you have as OC'd cards will draw more power the base model ones.

Although your PSU may say its a 550w unit if its older or of poor quality it might not be putting out 550w.

I ran a Evga 650w G2 PSU for years with my GTX 980, near the end my second monitor would turn off for a second and then come back on. This happened about once a week, thinking it was the gpu i replaced it with my now 2080 ti which according to Evga my PSU was enough but still had the same problem. Replaced the PSU with an Evga 750w G3 and havnet had any issues since then. Even though the G2 is a top tier unit time and...

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Hello,
yesterday i got a graphics card upgrading from my 750ti to a rx570. i also got 144hz monitor to use as my primary monitor to go with my 60hz monitor. i installed my graphics card and turned my pc on which worked. i was following a guide on youtube on how to upgrade your graphics card and mentioned getting a software called DDU which i downloaded and ran. after running the software both of my screens went black and wouldnt do anything so i turned off my pc to see if that would help. however my pc just turned off and on repeatedly. so i opened my pc and swapped the 6 pin pci-e cables as there are 2 and i figured that i had put in the wrong one. after
this worked and so i ran ddu again and downloaded drivers for everything and deleted the old ones. and then i played some games where i noticed the screen kept flickering. when i turned on my pc today my pc did the turning off and on thing once again and i turned it off at the back and turned it on and it worked. but i have noticed that my 144hz monitor screen flickers regularly and im scared that my computer isnt gonna turn on tomorrow because of the turning on and off thing. i read something to do with power supply not being high enough but mine is 550 and amd says 450 powersupply is good.

to sum it up. computer turn off and on repeatedly when i turn on and monitor screen flickers

First of all check the:
  1. Drivers you installed. I do not recommend softwares that download drivers automatically. You're suppossed to download it manually to avoid system errors.
  2. Graphic card that you installed. It can be a graphics card problem.
  3. New monitor as you've said. Flickering is a sign of bad monitor capacitor. Does it take some time to get a signal/turn on? Does the monitor power button flicker too?
  4. What's your PSU? Please provide the complete spec of your PC, former and the new one. The PC might be getting insufficient power or is unstable.
Solution:
  1. Clean install every drivers you need.
  2. Install the GPU to a different PC or use your old one. If the problem persist then it's not the GPU or if it's carried to another PC then it's the GPU. I doubt it's the GPU, might be driver issue.|
  3. Connect your monitor to different PC, if it flickers then it's the monitor.
  4. CHeck your PSU through multimeter if it's providing a stable power. Also try to reduce load. You might be getting insufficient power. You can also try putting it to a different PC.

EDIT: Can you try filming your PC while booting and while the problem is shown? Some pics might help also.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKing469

The RX570 is recommended minimum to have a 450w PSU, it also depends on which RX570 you have as OC'd cards will draw more power the base model ones.

Although your PSU may say its a 550w unit if its older or of poor quality it might not be putting out 550w.

I ran a Evga 650w G2 PSU for years with my GTX 980, near the end my second monitor would turn off for a second and then come back on. This happened about once a week, thinking it was the gpu i replaced it with my now 2080 ti which according to Evga my PSU was enough but still had the same problem. Replaced the PSU with an Evga 750w G3 and havnet had any issues since then. Even though the G2 is a top tier unit time and usage can and will degrade a PSU.

Last edited:
Solution

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

I ran a Evga 650w G2 PSU for years with my GTX 980, near the end my second monitor would turn off for a second and then come back on. This happened about once a week, thinking it was the gpu i replaced it with my now 2080 ti which according to Evga my PSU was enough. Replaced the PSU with an Evga 750w G3 and havnet had any issues since then. Even though the G2 is a top tier unit time and usage can and will degrade a PSU.

Yea, was thinking the same. Especially he upgraded from 750ti to RX570 and with a dual screen with one 144hz monitor.