Question Monitor screen goes black after about 2 seconds of turning it on ?

Apr 18, 2023
I wish I could give a specific timeline of events that might've caused this, but I genuinely have no idea what happened. It was working fine, then suddenly I noticed my monitor acting up. Anyways, basically what happened is that my monitor's screen suddenly went completely black, not even the blacklight is on. However, if I turn the monitor off and then on again, the display will show for about 2 seconds before going completely black. The monitor itself is still on, but its almost as if its not detecting my pc or something. I know the monitor is not in sleep mode either because the monitor's light indicator shows that its currently active.

I made sure to update my graphics drivers, but unfortunately the problem still persists. Unplugging it and plugging it back in didnt do anything either. I dont think its a faulty GPU though, none of the debug lights on my motherboard were lit up when I went to check. I also tried connecting it to my Directv receiver via hdmi but that didnt work either, didnt even show a picture, though im not sure if that's the fault of the monitor or if I just hooked it up wrong like an idiot. It did turn on just fine though, and it didnt say it was receiving no signal or anything like that, so I'm pretty sure it was hooked up correctly.

What should I do? Is the monitor just screwed, or is there some way to fix this ?

Edit: I just tried again with my old Xbox One this time, and its doing the exact same thing as it does with my PC, so now I know with certainty that it's some kind of problem with the monitor.

Last edited:

Rathnhake

Reputable
Jan 8, 2020
Could potentially be the cables, I had an issue with a VGA connection not properly rendering all colors due to a faulty cable (replaced it and now works fine).

Since you've already tried it with another device and the problem persists then my suggestion would be to give it a go with the cables (either that or/and open it to check to see what's probably wrong with the board, maybe a bad capacitor)

Reactions: Brainbum
Apr 18, 2023
Could potentially be the cables, I had an issue with a VGA connection not properly rendering all colors due to a faulty cable (replaced it and now works fine).

Since you've already tried it with another device and the problem persists then my suggestion would be to give it a go with the cables (either that or/and open it to check to see what's probably wrong with the board, maybe a bad capacitor)
Just gave it another go with a different HDMI cable, still no dice. I dont really have the know-how to properly open it up without damaging anything either unfortunately. I'm starting to suspect it might just be time to get the thing replaced, though hopefully it wont have to come to that...

Rathnhake

Reputable
Jan 8, 2020
Just gave it another go with a different HDMI cable, still no dice. I dont really have the know-how to properly open it up without damaging anything either unfortunately. I'm starting to suspect it might just be time to get the thing replaced, though hopefully it wont have to come to that...
Unless done by yourself, then you should probably get it checked by someone (could be worth it as it may be something like a capacitor issue) instead of buying a new monitor altogether. Other then that I don't think there's much else to do at this point.

Reactions: Brainbum
Apr 18, 2023
Unless done by yourself, then you should probably get it checked by someone (could be worth it as it may be something like a capacitor issue) instead of buying a new monitor altogether. Other then that I don't think there's much else to do at this point.
I'll definitely keep that in mind, although this monitor is kinda overdo for a replacement anyhow since its somewhat old. Still, ill see if I can find someone who can make repairs if I decide I want to keep it and I'm not able to fix it on my own somehow.