Question Monitor screen switches off and gives a no signal message

kerma16

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
PC specs
i5-4590
12GB ram
Rx 480 graphics card

The issue first started when I tried downloading a game from some sketchy website I also had windows defender turned off.
The display becomes pixelated, goes black or starts cycling through multiple colours then turns off with the 'no signal' message I have to hold down the power button until the PC shutsdown, the computer also has that distorted crashing sound.
The first time this happened a high spinning noise started to come form the PC

What triggers it
After turning on the computer it takes a minute or two before it crashes
Trying to go fullscreen.
Trying to "scan for hardware change" in device manager.
Trying to run any video game.

What I've done so far
Completely uninstalled amd drivers and then reinstalled them.
Booted into safe mode, uninstalled amd drivers and then reinstalled them.
Applied thermal grease on my graphics card.
Made sure that the graphics card was seated properly.
Installed windows 7 (dual boot with the already installed windows 10).

When I boot into windows 7 it doesn't crash but if I try starting a game or doing anything listed above it does.

Currently I'm using my computer by disabling my graphics card form the device manager.
Additionally no major changes were made to my system recently.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Have you run Windows Security or any other AV software to check for possible virus /malware infections?

After the next successful boot go into Reliability History to look for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that started appearing after downloading that game from the "sketchy website".

Reliability History uses a timeline format that should make the errors stand out.

You can also look in Event Viewer in much the same manner. Not as user friendly as Reliability History.

Also - PSU? make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy gaming use?

kerma16

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
Have you run Windows Security or any other AV software to check for possible virus /malware infections?

After the next successful boot go into Reliability History to look for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that started appearing after downloading that game from the "sketchy website".

Reliability History uses a timeline format that should make the errors stand out.

You can also look in Event Viewer in much the same manner. Not as user friendly as Reliability History.

Also - PSU? make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy gaming use?
Yeah, I ran windows defender a couple of time, nothing came up.
The PSU is a Gigabyte P450B 450 watt , bought it five months ago.
I checked in Reliability History there were a couple of unexpected shutdowns and there are also some Hardware error events this is what it says

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎10/‎25/‎2021 12:19 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffb38ad0d59010
Parameter 2: fffff80740bbe590
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 3c8
OS version: 10_0_19042
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_amdkmdag.sys
Server information: cfa7f9ee-6909-43e7-bb06-e6f6801382fb

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
So crashing in both Windows 7 and Windows 10 - correct?

Windows 7 being "no crash" unless gaming - correct?

One immediately common factor (between Windows 7 and Windows 10) is the PSU.

Also noted in "Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_amdkmdag.sys " the amdkmdag.sys" reference.

My thought is that the PSU cannot provide enough wattage when the system is booted into Windows 10.

However, the PSU is able to provide sufficient wattage for Windows 7 unless gaming and wattage demand is higher.

GPU being:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-480

Recommended PSU is 500 watts. If the Gigabyte P450B has been used to date for heavy gaming and/or may have been defective in some manner then the PSU could be at some threshold stage of failing.

Any warranty left?

= = = =

Another thing you can do just as a matter of elimination:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Check for signs of damage: kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components, melted wire insulation, bare copper showing.

kerma16

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
So crashing in both Windows 7 and Windows 10 - correct?

Windows 7 being "no crash" unless gaming - correct?

One immediately common factor (between Windows 7 and Windows 10) is the PSU.

Also noted in "Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_amdkmdag.sys " the amdkmdag.sys" reference.

My thought is that the PSU cannot provide enough wattage when the system is booted into Windows 10.

However, the PSU is able to provide sufficient wattage for Windows 7 unless gaming and wattage demand is higher.
No I checked multiple things today, it also crashes in windows 7 I left the computer overnight and when I woke up it had already crashed and was stuck at the black screen.

The PSU was not used for heavy gaming and has only been used lightly for 5 months it also has 7 months warranty remaining.
My house has been having electricity issues (transformer blew out and I've been having voltage fluctuations) it could have affected the PSU.
I tested the PC with my older PSU a thermaltake 450 watt and got the same results.

I opened up the case removed harddrives, ram sticks and graphics card reconnected them also made sure that and tried different combinations to find if something was faulty.

I also reapplied the thermal paste, the one I had applied had spread outside the chipset and onto the circuit board.