Monitor screen turns black and GPU fans at max speed during very specific events

bhuinda

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
System specs for reference (running on Windows 10):
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
CPU: Intel i5-7600K @ 3.80GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H-GSM
PSU (from what I can gather): EVGA 500W 100-W1-0500
SSD: ADATA SP550
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100

Premises:
Hi Tom's Hardware community,

I've been having trouble ever since first replacing a GTX 960 with an EVGA GTX 1070 in my computer. So far, I have experienced two different crash-like issues:

1. The screen turns black, the GPU begins to fan at max speed, and then audio cuts out a few seconds later. The only solution I've found is to restart the computer, which then works without any issue.

2. (Which I have only experienced once, with 1. occurring afterwards on similar occasions.) The screen turns black, but the GPU appears unaffected, and audio does not cut out. The TV screen simply cannot find a signal.

The more peculiar part came when I restarted my computer. After initial startup (where you can access BIOS, etc.), the screen turns black, with two white bars going horizontally across the upper half, and a small series of light blue dots, following a horizontal line, appearing on top and nearby the higher white bar. The GPU and all other computer components are running fine, but I cannot do anything with the strange screen.

I believe that upon another hard computer restart, the same thing occurred; but after another restart, going into the BIOS settings and then saving and exiting out without changing anything returned me to the normal Windows 10 sign-in screen. I have reason to believe that the BIOS could be causing the issue, though I cannot be quite certain. I do not as much believe, however, that it is anything hardware-related. Temperatures remain within the 59-76 degree Fahrenheit range under load for my GPU.

Minecraft (with Optifine installed, though usually no shaders running):
The usual specific scenarios where the screen will normally turn black and where the GPU starts to fan is during Minecraft, at random points in time upon loading into a world, whether it be single or multiplayer (although a majority of crashes are occurring during playtime in different singeplayer worlds). The crash happens with no clear reason whatsoever, although most recently, it started to rain in-game and the crash immediately happened (it has also happened during clear nighttime and daytime). I do not believe overheating to be the cause of it, as I previously stated.

For those who have played Skyrim, have used ENBs, and understand anything I'm saying:
Skyrim will also cause it, but only during one extremely specific scenario where I install Opethfeldt 7beta ENB (a shader overhaul modification to the game) and attempt to run the game. Upon loading Skyrim with SKSE, the game will initially load with a standard black screen, but then the screen will turn black and the GPU will fan as usual. No other ENB from what I've seen will cause this, and I've tracked it down to being a specific file or configuration file within the Opethfeldt ENB that triggers the occurrence.

Wrapping up:
I have looked at other threads about the same problem but where the triggers are far more universal. So far, I haven't really come up with anything. If any of you guys have any ideas as to how to approach and fix the still unidentified issue, I would be in your debt.

Thanks again!

Update 4/12/2017:
Ran into a problem where Windows 10 UI was unresponsive; clicking bottom left Windows button would do nothing, among other things. When hard shutting down computer, the computer itself remained powered while the monitor received no signal. New tabs in Chrome would also become unresponsive. Going into the BIOS fixed the issue so I'm almost certain that the array of problems I've been having have resulted from something about the BIOS. Still looking for anyone to guide me through the process of altering/repairing it.

Update 5/20/2017:
Updated my GA-H110M-S2H-GSM from version F4 to F20. Prior to that, I discovered that in the brief times I would attempt playing Minecraft, there would be a hissing noise that comes from inside the computer presumably from the graphics card or motherboard. Hissing still occurred after F20 though I did not stick around to see if Minecraft would crash on me.

Upon a fresh reinstall on Minecraft, I tested in a singleplayer world for five minutes and had no hissing noise.

Update 2/22/2018:
Hi again, I accidentally forgotten about this thread but just had a moment that brought it back to mind. As I mentioned in the previous update, I updated my BIOS, which fixed most issues apart from Minecraft, which seems to have been fixed with a reinstall. The computer has ran fine since.

However, five minutes ago, I encountered the original problem after I accidentally attempted to open a .3mf file (a 3D object file made by Windows). The file, called Star Trophy.3mf, opened in Mixed Reality Viewer, which immediately caused the black screen/GPU fan/audio crash issue.I have not attempted opening any other 3D objects however it stands to reason that the same problem would occur nonetheless.

It must be noted that the previous night I had uninstalled Microsoft 3D Builder, a component of Microsoft's 3D object kit. Furthermore, I have never attempted to open a 3D object before. I am unsure if anyone else has ran into the same issue, however for me it means that either the BIOS update did not resolve all conflicts/the actual root of the cause lies elsewhere.

I have also switched out my i3-6320 with the more capable i5-7600K but have had no subsequent issues (info has been updated).

To those who have responded to my thread with the same issue, make sure your BIOS is at its most recent version!

heeee

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
hi I also have the same issue ehre my pc passes all gpu and cpu stress tests but the srreen goes black and gpu fans ramp up in some games after a random amount of time

Serverchamp1300

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
Current System: Intel i5 6600k (no OC) Corsair 850i Platinum Series ASUS Z170 Sabertooth S EVGA GTX 780 FTW 16GB of DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200

I'm having the same issue with ending turns in Endless legend or Total war warhammer. Blackscreen, high fans, audio stays on. Have to force restart.