Monitor screen whitening (brightening)

gaggudeep

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
So, recently my monitor "Samsung SyncMaster 732nw" started to become white-ish when i turned my pc on. Although i could see the display clearly but the whitening on the screen was irritating. I ensured that it was a hardware problem. I opened my monitor and cleaned all the cable plugs inside it with isopropyl alcohol, but it was of no use. On further exploring I found a capacitor slightly bulged and replaced it with another capacitor. But now the monitor won't even start. The specs of bad (bulged) and new capacitor are as follows:

Bad cap - 25 V, 680 uF, 105°C (M)
"XC" was written on it and on
the opposite side "W2A" was
written .

New cap - 25 V, 1000 uF, 85°C (M)
SD was written on it and on
the opposite side
"H8E PET" was written.

Images for reference - For research https://imgur.com/gallery/ELP3i

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
OK. first thing, the cap your using as the replacement is not the same capacitance is the original (680 microfarad vs 1000 microfarad). When replacing/upgrading a capacitor, that value usually should match. The voltage can be higher, as that value is a limit to what the cap can handle. The higher voltage cap is more 'robust/heavier duty', if you will. That being said, the thermal rating of the replacement cap is 20 degrees lower then the original. That could cause problems in the long run.
Long story short (too late!) find a cap with the same values as the original and see if it will power up.
The original problem with the light edges maybe backlight bleed thru. If thats the case, maybe its time to think about a new monitor.

gaggudeep

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Sorry ricdiculus, I accidently down voted your answer and now I am unable to undo it. Thanks for the reply, but I just reattached the bulged capacitor and now the monitor seems to work fine, wtf?