Monitor shopping -- video editor

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
So my friend, who I built a machine for about 6 years ago wants to build a new machine for video editing with DaVinci Resolve 12 (and other programs I'm sure). I know that DaVinci is very hard on systems, so he's given me a budget of $2000-$3000 and more if I can find a good reason to persuade him. Being a PC Power-User/PCMR Brother, I have the hardware under control except for the monitor. I would like to suggest something that is very color accurate, but I know he will also want to migrate to 4k video editing soon. He currently shoots in 4k but outputs to 1080p. So here's the list of requests:

• ■ 4k (2560*1440 at minimum)
    ■ Best color accuracy for the money
    ■ Possibly affordable enough to buy two
    ■ Preferable if it has a good SD card reader (would save me from buying a dedicated one)

Any suggestions would be awesome! He's coming over at 7PM (cst). My plan is to have several price point builds to show him. For example, if he spends $2000 on the hardware, then he'll have $1000+ to spend on a monitor. Or if he goes more expensive with the hardware then he would have to compromise on the monitor(s).

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hello,

Does your friend plan on using a OpenGL 10 bit graphics card, NVIDIA Quadro, or a FirePro?

Does your friend have full control over the room temperature? If the answer is no, a color accurate monitor would be pointless. It wouldn't be able to display accurate colors.

Either way, spending that much money on a monitor would be a waste of money. 8 bit monitors that reach 72% NTSC, starts at 150, that's 6x less than what you're looking to spend on a monitor.

Moving up in price from that, only gives you more features, and resolution. The panel quality won't change, it's just marketing.

A high resolution 10 bit monitor is way more expensive than 1000. You're looking at something at least twice as expensive.

All the best!
Hello,

Does your friend plan on using a OpenGL 10 bit graphics card, NVIDIA Quadro, or a FirePro?

Does your friend have full control over the room temperature? If the answer is no, a color accurate monitor would be pointless. It wouldn't be able to display accurate colors.

Either way, spending that much money on a monitor would be a waste of money. 8 bit monitors that reach 72% NTSC, starts at 150, that's 6x less than what you're looking to spend on a monitor.

Moving up in price from that, only gives you more features, and resolution. The panel quality won't change, it's just marketing.

A high resolution 10 bit monitor is way more expensive than 1000. You're looking at something at least twice as expensive.

All the best!

Solution