[SOLVED] Monitor shows entering power saving mode when gpu reaches 76-80 celcius

omersany002

Prominent
Sep 1, 2019
My monitor shows entering power saving mode while playing games or stress test when the gpu reaches around 80 degree. I have set the fan speed to 100 percent when the temperatures reaches 70 with MSI Afterburner.

My system configuration

i5 9400f
b365m
Saphire RX 580 pulse

Solution
Understood.

Well 80 degrees certainly isn't a throttle temperature for the RX580. It's hot, but not too hot.

However what I can see is an awful quality PSU, and it's perfectly possible that as GPU load increases to such a level, that the PSU is faulting under that load, however what is also seen is high temperatures due to that load. Thermaltake Smart are arguably the worst series TT has to offer, and is very poor quality, so this can quite commonly happen.

Personally i would swap the PSU out for another but good quality known working PSU and see if the issue persists.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
My monitor shows entering power saving mode while playing games or stress test when the gpu reaches around 80 degree. I have set the fan speed to 100 percent when the temperatures reaches 70 with MSI Afterburner.

My system configuration

i5 9400f
b365m
Saphire RX 580 pulse

Not exactly sure what you're asking, but it sounds like the built in protection for the card once a temp threshold is reached is engaging. Is your GPU's fan too loud for you to have Afterburners fan control set to a 50-75% RPM to constantly keep air flowing? Hows the air-flow inside your case? Any case fans drawing in cool outside air with fan(s) sucking out the warm? The best cooling is only as good as the cases internal temps. (if enclosed and other than say direct AC or Nitro lol) Usually the Sapphire GPU's have good cooling solutions, of course it'll heat up like any other card under load. Is it still under warranty? If not, have you given any thought to re-applying the thermal paste on it?

How dusty is the card? Even a small infestation of dust bunnies can/will cause an insulating effect.

omersany002

Prominent
Sep 1, 2019
Not exactly sure what you're asking, but it sounds like the built in protection for the card once a temp threshold is reached is engaging. Is your GPU's fan too loud for you to have Afterburners fan control set to a 50-75% RPM to constantly keep air flowing? Hows the air-flow inside your case? Any case fans drawing in cool outside air with fan(s) sucking out the warm? The best cooling is only as good as the cases internal temps. (if enclosed and other than say direct AC or Nitro lol) Usually the Sapphire GPU's have good cooling solutions, of course it'll heat up like any other card under load. Is it still under warranty? If not, have you given any thought to re-applying the thermal paste on it?

How dusty is the card? Even a small infestation of dust bunnies can/will cause an insulating effect.

I only have three exhaust fans i am yet to buy three more intake fans for my case.

the rpm is 100% at 70 degree Celsius and is too loud. I dont have warrenty.

will changing the thermal paste help? if the case air flow is the problem should i take the side window apart until i buy the extra three intake fans?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I only have three exhaust fans i am yet to buy three more intake fans for my case.

the rpm is 100% at 70 degree Celsius and is too loud. I dont have warrenty.

will changing the thermal paste help? if the case air flow is the problem should i take the side window apart until i buy the extra three intake fans?

Until you can buy more, take 1 or even 2 of the fans you have and use them to suck in cool air so the ambient temps inside your tower go down as well as the air around your 580. The thermal paste could help, (if the stock paste is dried out or faulty in some other way, perhaps from the factory or previous owner) but before you take the HS&F off the GPU's core, check to see if there are thermal pads touching any other part of your GPU's components or if the HS&F are only touching the core.

Does anyone else here have a 580 that can compare their temps to @omersany002? My 1060 runs cool.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is the rest of your system spec including PSU make and model?
80 degrees shouldn't throttle an RX580 and there are plenty where it can run up to 80 degrees. It's hot, but not too hot. 70 degrees especially.

Are you sure it ONLY does this when it's the temperature? Or is it just load on the GPU?
Does it ever do this when you simply start a game for example?

omersany002

Prominent
Sep 1, 2019
What is the rest of your system spec including PSU make and model?
80 degrees shouldn't throttle an RX580 and there are plenty where it can run up to 80 degrees. It's hot, but not too hot. 70 degrees especially.

Are you sure it ONLY does this when it's the temperature? Or is it just load on the GPU?
Does it ever do this when you simply start a game for example?

https://www.thermaltake.com/smart-se-630w.html i use this psu

It doesnt throttole immediately after i open a game. The temperature rises and touches 80 in a few minutes and than it throttoles

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Understood.

Well 80 degrees certainly isn't a throttle temperature for the RX580. It's hot, but not too hot.

However what I can see is an awful quality PSU, and it's perfectly possible that as GPU load increases to such a level, that the PSU is faulting under that load, however what is also seen is high temperatures due to that load. Thermaltake Smart are arguably the worst series TT has to offer, and is very poor quality, so this can quite commonly happen.

Personally i would swap the PSU out for another but good quality known working PSU and see if the issue persists.

Solution

omersany002

Prominent
Sep 1, 2019
Understood.

Is there anyway that i can know for sure that the PSU is failing

omersany002

Prominent
Sep 1, 2019
No, not without swapping and testing unfortunately.
Either way, there is no way you can ever know for sure a component is failing without swapping and retesting, as software tests are never a guarantee.

I played games for a few hours now with my side tempered glass open and i faced no problem, the temperature didnt touch 80.

Can i assume my PSU is good enough, the problem is in airflow and why does it throttole at 80 when the upper limit in afterburner is 86?