Question Monitor shows flashing lines and cuts-out to black screen

kenshinxi

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
I've been having this problem on my new pc build whenever I'm either watching a video or playing a game above 1080p. Once I switch to 1440p (which my computer can handle fine) my display starts flashing white horizontal lines, and sometimes cuts out to a black screen with a popping noise, then returns, but will persist until I switch back to 1080p.

I've tried my other GPU (RX 590) which I know for a fact works because it didn't happen on my previous build. I've done the whole AMD Cleanup Utility, and then DDU after AMD Cleanup Utility didn't work, swapping out my GPUs to try and fix the problem but it's still happening. Now I'm using my RX 590 because the RX 580 that was initially used in my new build creates this constant, loud, static noise that wont go away. There's nothing wrong with my TV or the HDMI cables which I know work.

GPU Temps:
Min - 39C
Max - 80C

CPU Temps:
Min - 42C
Max - 95C

Here are some videos I've taken to show some of whats happening:

- PC Display Cuts Out During Gaming

-Gaming PC Problems

PC Specs:

MOBO - Gigabyte X570 UD ATX
GPU - XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy
CPU - Ryzen 9 3900
MEMORY - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb 3200MHz (x4 - 8gb)
PSU - Thermaltake 600w 80 Plus Gold
COOLING - MasterLiquid Lite 120mm Watercooler
CASE - CyberpowerPC ONYXIA II 242w Mid-Tower

DISPLAY - Hisense 50" 4K UHD HDR TV 60Hz

Last edited:

kenshinxi

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
What if you just use a monitor instead of a 4K TV?

Why is your CPU getting so hot?
I dont have a monitor to test it out on. But I've tried my other tv which is 1080p and the same thing happens. My previous build never did this on either of these tvs.

I'm not sure why the cpu gets so hot. I didnt put this new pc together but maybe theres not enough thermal paste or none at all.

I've managed to find a somewhat fix to the display issues which was to not install Adrenalin after a fresh Windows install, but some games would then display blue flashing lines instead of white.

kenshinxi

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
You need to fix the CPU cooling. Try reseating the cold plate again.
Is the pump and fans spinning OK?

Can you try another GPU?
Fans are working fine.

I have my RX580 and RX590 and they now both have the same issues. Before I got my new pc, the 590 from my previous build never had these problems. After I put the 590 into my new pc, it's like the display problems transferred to that GPU too because after putting it back into my older build, the display problems were happening there too.

TRENDING THREADS