Question Monitor shows no signal after getting an HDMI in - VGA out adapter

nolejd50

Commendable
Jul 9, 2018
I am pretty new to all this so apologies If the thread is wrong etc.

I have an Asus VS228 monitor (VGA in) connected via a HDMI in - VGA out adapter to the ASUS GTX 660 2GB DirectCU II OC GPU.
I bought the adapter a couple of days ago. Before that I had a cheap DVI-I in - VGA out adapter that worked but the monitor would always show some weird horizontal lines so I ditched it and decided to get the aforementioned HDMI adapter.

Now, with the HDMI adapter, when both the PC and the Monitor do boot, it really works well, the colours and the contrast are great, no weird lines visible, everything seems perfect. But oftentimes the monitor won't show any signal upon booting-up the PC, thus I have to restart it a couple of times until it (the monitor) finally turns on as well. This never happened with the old , < word removed > DVI-I adapter, so I am not sure wherein the problem lies. Help much appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
I would suspect that the new adapter is defective in some way.

Such adapters are made as cheaply as possible. Could be some heat related defect - does not/will not work until something in the adapter "warms up".

Or could simply be the fit and feel of the ports and plugs involved. Any where along the new connection path.

Try the adapter on another known working computer or video setup.

Determine if the problem follows the new adapter or not.

nolejd50

Commendable
Jul 9, 2018
I would suspect that the new adapter is defective in some way.

Such adapters are made as cheaply as possible. Could be some heat related defect - does not/will not work until something in the adapter "warms up".

I guess this could be the reason, but I did buy a more expensive one just to be sure. Don't have any other PC to try it on unfortunately :/ The adapter looks and feels kinda high-end, and it seems to fit very well. As I said, when the monitor does boot up, everything works great and the image quality/colours/contrast/sharpness are really great.

On the other hand I'm sure it has either to do with the new adapter OR with the HDMI out port on my graphics card, because up until now I've only used the DVI-I out port and this hadn't happened once. Thanks for your reply :)