Monitor shuts off randomly during game play won't start back up till I reboot my pc

FadedGaming

Reputable
May 24, 2014
I've been having this problem for a while thought it was my GPU so I got a 760 superclocked still does it thought it was my monitor so I got a new monitor and it still does it. Usully happens after about 15 minuts of game play specs:CPU fx 8350, GPU 760 superclocked, 8gb 1866 adata xpg v2 ram, Mobo msi 970 gaming, 1 1tb HDD 1 500gb HDD 500 watt PSU 80 plus 3 sickle flow case fans and a CPU cooler with the name Cooler master evo plus or something like that. I use a cable that plugs dvi into my gpu and hdmi into my monitor. I really need help I think it's either my psu gpu monitor or mobo please help :(

FadedGaming

Reputable
May 24, 2014

I already was using hdmi so I switched to dvi and it was still doing it :\

Vudue Priest

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I wouldn't think the PSU would cause this unless the PC goes into a black screen or BSOD... The monitor would only turn off if signal from the GPU is severed. Can you connect your monitor to your MOBO after it shuts off?

Overclocking an AMD FX 8350 from its 4.0 GHz clock speed to 4.6 GHz results in an increase of 136 Watts more in power consumption when measured at the CPU 8-pin power connector. That could be enough to exceed the capacity of the PSU and cause the PSU's OCP (Over Current Protection) or OPP (Over Power Protection) circuit to be triggered.

If the CPU sucks enough power away such that the graphics card receives insufficient power then the video signal will be lost.

FadedGaming

Reputable
May 24, 2014

No after it shuts off the pc is still on but the only way i can get it to turn back on is to reboot the pc. After i reboot it the fans usually go much faster for about 10 seconds then go to normal speeds. So i cant connect the mobo to monitor.

FadedGaming

Reputable
May 24, 2014

No everything is at clock speeds accept for the graphics card which is factory superclocked

FadedGaming

Reputable
May 24, 2014

Ill do that see if anything improves

FadedGaming

Reputable
May 24, 2014

Ill be getting a new psu when i upgrade to a new case when i put in liquid cooling and change alot of stuff around.

FadedGaming

Reputable
May 24, 2014

I just recently purchased this mobo about 8 months ago. I don't think it's my mobo because usually when it happens is only under long gaming sessions it's not right after like 5-10 minutes. Usually when it happens i just have to stop playing for a while then i can play again in like 1 hour because if i reboot my pc and try to play right after it usually does it again.

Sandy7sws

Honorable
Dec 15, 2014

well whats ur gpu temp when u play the games ? it happen because of overheating of GPU. and if the temp is fine then surely the mobo, and it doesnt matter to how recently u got ur mobo . this problem can occur right at the first run of the mobo . so nvm .

First of all check the GPU temp frequently and note the temp right after the first black screen restart and tell me . Elsewise the mobo it is to be replaced . keep fingers crossed .. i love that 970 Gaming mobo though <3