monitor shuts off randomly every 3-5 minutes

computerdumbo

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I've had this monitor for a little more than 4 years now, and it's been working fine so far but recently it's been playing tricks on me. For no rhyme or reason it would have a power cut - that is, even the 'on' button states that it's not on, with no light emitted from the button whatsoever, and no matter how I press it, I can't get the monitor to go back on. The only way I have found to (temporarily) fix this is to turn off the power supply to the monitor, wait a couple of minutes, and then turn it on again. Then the monitor goes back to working perfectly fine for another 5 or so minutes, before shutting off again.

What's going on with my monitor?!

I'm running a 24inch Dell monitor that came with my XPS(8500?), so I think it should be the one seen here .

Sounds like a thermal issue. Probably a short on the control board inside the unit. Could be a problem with the micro switch as well but it's more likely to be the control board. Is there any chance it's the power cord? Have you checked to make sure it's not bent, broken, cracked or melted in any spots at all. Pay particular attention to the area where the cord makes any bends.

computerdumbo

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Superbly late reply, but would the best bet be to simply replace the monitor?
And I haven't found any melted spots on the cords...