Monitor shutting of but pc still working

Feb 26, 2018
So i have this problem for like a week .

I have a Radeon R7 which hasnt caused me problems for 3 years .
The problem is this : my monitor goes black , doesnt shut off , my power button still stays green as it should be when opened .

Notes : I've selected pause or sleep in power options to "never"
- Tried a new monitor works fine but it s and old monitor so i dont want to use it.
- Tried my monitor to another computer it doesnt go black at all
- Tried plugging it via DVI still goes black , via VGI as well

So what should i do , cause if i connect the monitor to another computer it works fine and if i connect another monitor to my computer works as well .

MY DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE AS WELL

Feb 26, 2018

They're not , the monitor that shuts off it's 1280x1024 while this one im using rn is 1024x768

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you show me specs of PC?

It could be a dying card or a PSU that can't supply the power it once could.

i wonder if setting the lower res on 1280 x 1024 screen would let it run. I know its not a solution, more a test to see if it works.

I had a similar problem in the past, my monitor would turn off but it also showed an error about having no signal. Turned out one of the extra power cables on GPU wasn't in tight enough and it wasn't supplying a good enough signal to monitor to keep it running.

Feb 26, 2018

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Pentium G3220 @ 3.00GHz 29 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
4,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H81M-K (SOCKET 1150) 122 °C
Graphics
BenQ FP51G (1024x768@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 17 °C
Storage
465GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA050 (SATA) 20 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24F1ST a
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

so these are my specs , i know the motherboard is pretty heated but that is like that since i bought the pc

i actually cleaned my pc from dust like 2 weeks ago , i should've removed something or deattached a cable that may occur this problem ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Good chance that 122c is just looking at the wrong sensor, I have an Asus and have 1 sensor at -126c and another at 126C and my PC isn't even warm. Actual Motherboard temp probably somewhere between the GPU temp and the CPU, if not lower.

Did problem start around time you cleaned PC or only recently?

If this is the model, then I don't think you do have extra power cables to power it - https://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/06/23/asus_r7_260x_directcu_ii_oc_video_card_review/ (model based on a guess as Asus make a few different cards, but this is most powerful and doesn't seem to need extra power (unlike my card))

It might be the card itself is on way out. Hence why I suggested testing it in another PC.

Feb 26, 2018

I've no idea how can i move my graphics card to another pc cuz im not experimented with it . The problem started like 2 or 3 days after i cleaned my pc , i've noticed that my pc slowly increased his sound like , it started sounding louder after i cleaned my pc . Actually my exact graphics card is ASUS R7 240

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have asked for a second opinion, it seems obvious the clean you did started this.

I wonder if the fan is spinning on it? unlike some Asus GPU coolers, it doesn't turn off so it should be.
The extra noise could be the CPU fan running faster to compensate for no GPU fan. Just a theory though. I can't find anything to back it up.

Feb 26, 2018

I've got a problem with my CPU fan it doesnt work since i bought the pc , i get that message CPU FAN ERROR PRESS F1 RO RUN SETUP . However it never caused me problems. Maybe the problem could be a cable unplugged when i cleaned my pc or something ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
unless you know where all the cables should be attached, you might need to get someone else to look at it and see if they can spot the problem. I can't tell from here.

I assume CPU fan works? its likely its Fan is plugged into the wrong place on motherboard, hence warning. Given its temp of 29C I have to assume it does actually work.

Feb 26, 2018

So my problem is based on my CPU fan or it is another thing that shut downs my monitor

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you always had CPU fan warning, your current problem isn't likely to be caused by it. I was just explaining how it might show warning but fan might actually be on. You said it didn't work, I was just saying PC would be running a lot hotter if it wasn't on.

I don't know what is causing GPU to only run lower resolution monitors, I wonder what temperature it is running at. What hardware monitoring program did you use to find PC specs before?

trying to figure out a reason why still

Feb 26, 2018

i used Speccy to indicate my pc specs

Feb 26, 2018

Ok thanks , can somebody look over as well , maybe another guy that may know something ? as i bet u're not the only moderator ?

Colif

Win 11 Master

I have asked for help but I can't guarantee anyone will answer before I do again.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
how did you clean out the pc? it's rather easy to knock pieces lose if you're not careful. it's possible you bumped the gpu and knocked it loose.

open the case and check that every part is correctly installed. the gpu, ram, cable connections such as sata cables or any others that may be slightly off.

if you used something like a vacuum on blow to blow out the pc, it is also possible you burned out a fan or 2. i've done that myself back in the day. if you put the air strsight to the fan and let it rev up too high it can break easily. especially cheap ones used on low end gpu's. keep the case open and check to be sure all the fans are working. not just gpu but also cpu, case and any other fans in there.

manually turn them up and down to be sure they are actually responding. it may work at full speed but not at 50%. keep an eye on temps as you watch the fans. this will let you know if the fans themselves are the problem anywhere.

edit: also forgot to note that it may just be your monitor that dies on you. just a bad coincidence that it died right after cleaning the pc. did oyu try your monitor on another pc? i saw where you tried other monitors on yours but did you try yours on another pc? could save a lot of time if the monitor is the issue.

Feb 26, 2018

Yes i tried my monitor to another pc , let the pc running for like 10 mins , no problem no shut down at all , also at my cleaning i used a vacuum but i didnt put it straight to cables or fans , i just erased the dirt that was in my pc case .
Every fan works properly as intended !

UPDATE : I let my monitor which is a HORIZON 9005L12 to rest a little bit , plugged it back in and worked for like 2 mintues which is better than average 20 seconds .

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so there is dark dark magic at work here. :/

seems like there is some kind of hex on the combination of your pc and that monitor. if all other combos work, then i am not sure what the prob could be. rather odd but i have run across such things before. nothing appears to be wrong but for some reason they decided they did not want to play together anymore.

i'm gonna look a bit more and see if i can find anything that might explain this but right now i am at a loss if everything is working right. will check back if i come up with anything new.

Feb 26, 2018

After all my problem divides in 2 categories : it's either the PC that has something or the monitor !

If it s the pc i don't understand why other monitor would work properly and not shut itself .
If it's the monitor then i dont' understand why would it work on another computer...

DARK MAGIC

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
trust me i understand. i do this for a living and have seen it before.

i've had people bring me a pc that works 100% for me but as soon as they touch it, right in front of me!, it stops working right. my dad is one of those people and he won't believe me that the tech world just hates him and he should go back to the stone ages....... lol

but there is no logical reason for it to all work in other combos but not in that one. is why i am glaring at valdemort right now for messing with you.

Feb 26, 2018

Another detail that i didnt bring tilll now it's that the monitor goes through an AC ADAPTER