Monitor shutting of but pc still working

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 26, 2018
So i have this problem for like a week .

I have a Radeon R7 which hasnt caused me problems for 3 years .
The problem is this : my monitor goes black , doesnt shut off , my power button still stays green as it should be when opened .

Notes : I've selected pause or sleep in power options to "never"
- Tried a new monitor works fine but it s and old monitor so i dont want to use it.
- Tried my monitor to another computer it doesnt go black at all
- Tried plugging it via DVI still goes black , via VGI as well

So what should i do , cause if i connect the monitor to another computer it works fine and if i connect another monitor to my computer works as well .

MY DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE AS WELL

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not that I am ignoring it, I am just not sure what solution is.

when you move monitor, do you take the same cables? Do you attach other PC with same vga or DVI as you use on 1st pc? just wondering if its the cables you are using on 1st PC.

Math Geek works with hardware, i understand software better so I am not sure what cause is.

Feb 26, 2018

Nope it's not the cables , i tried 3 different cables , 2 VGA and 1 DVI they do exact the same thing , shut my monitor , maybe the problem can be the adaptor that the monitor has , maybe it doesn't generate power like before ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if it was the ac adapter, wouldn't it have the same problem on the other PC? Or do you use another one there?

It could be the Power Supply in the PC itself, it might have enough juice to run at 1080p but not as 1260 - they can go bad over time. what make/model is it?

I would get someone to look at PC, instead of waiting for us to guess the right thing.

Feb 26, 2018

It has Myria imprinted on it but i have resons to think that's my PC case's name , anyway it has 500W and a frequency of 50 Hz .

Feb 26, 2018

My question is , if it was the power supply that has 500W doesn t generate enough power , how can the other power supply which is 260W can generate enough ? I'm actually thinking of giving up , i ve tried everything .

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you've covered all the basesi can think of as well. if it was sitting in front of me i'd do the sames things we've suggested and you've already tried.

i am stumped with this one. black magic seems to be the only answer i have for you :(

sadly if it is working with another monitor, then i'd use it for now until you can buy a new one with the better resolution you want. used sellers would be an easy place to find an older monitor with the low resolution you're using now. unless you want a newer better resolution one.

i find older flat screens at thrift stores all the time. i have an almost new 900p monitor sitting here i'd happily sell you for little more than the cost of shipping if you're in the US. it's an acer G185H Ab
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-G185H-Ab-18-5-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B003N35UBA

pretty good monitor when it came out a few years back.

Feb 26, 2018

So guys recently i've just realised that i had played with my graphics settings and i actually overclocked it , i read on other forums that could be the problem , can i underclock it ? And how can i know what's my best clock values ?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
too high of an overclock can cause issues for sure. but they should be present no matter the monitor hooked up to it.

but reverting back to defaults is a good test step to see if it is the problem. if the card won't work right at stock settings, then it has a problem. you should not have to underclock it for it to work right. i'd try simply going back to stock clock rates and see if that helps the issue any.

Feb 26, 2018

didn't resolve it even backing up to defaults :(

TRENDING THREADS