monitor size to distance

Solution

THX recommends a field-of-view of 40 degrees or less for a 16:9 HDTV and has developed a formula for determining the ideal viewing distance from seat to screen: Screen Diagonal (inches) / 0.84 = Recommended Viewing Distance (inches). This would mean that for a distance of 2 feet that a diagonal screen size of just a little over 20 inches (20.16 inches to be exact) would be optimal.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
At 2-1/2 feet from my eyes, I thought a 1080p at 27 inches was comfortable. It's really very subjective to each person's vision, though.

If you can find a store that has monitors on display, I would very strongly recommend going and seeing what looks right to you.

Illias Illtempered

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

THX recommends a field-of-view of 40 degrees or less for a 16:9 HDTV and has developed a formula for determining the ideal viewing distance from seat to screen: Screen Diagonal (inches) / 0.84 = Recommended Viewing Distance (inches). This would mean that for a distance of 2 feet that a diagonal screen size of just a little over 20 inches (20.16 inches to be exact) would be optimal.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
As above, there is a standard but it's hard to certify for everyone. Viewing distance is preferable and different from person to person.

Could use a measuring tape to be exact but generally an arm's length is fine.

1080p in larger size panels can still look good depending on monitor and what you're doing with it. If the picture is constantly moving i don't think you'll notice pixel density much unless you're aware and look for it.

Other personal preference could be allowing for more screen focus in competitive gaming sitting the screen further back or a screen that is bigger or sitting closer for more immersive feel.

TRENDING THREADS