[SOLVED] Monitor slowing powerline ethernet

gokbayrakkaan

Commendable
Sep 2, 2018
In September I changed my setup to a new pc and monitor, I also changed the place of my setup. Previously the powerline was plugged into a separate socket and the other stuff was plugged into an extension from another socket. My current setup is a powerline plugged into a socket and onto that powerline plugged in an extension. So my pc and monitor is plugged into the extension coming from the powerline. I noticed this drop when downloading games. Usually, I start downloading multiple games and leaving my pc on for the night, so I turn off my monitor. Yesterday for some reason I checked how much it downloaded and I saw I got double the speed. Before changing my setup I got around 4 MBps but I thought I got around 2.1MBps because of the pandemic. When the monitor is off, I got 4MBps. I tried plugging the monitor to another socket but this also didn't fix the issue. What can I do?

Solution
It depends on the surge protector. There primary function is not to filter signals it is to prevent power voltage fluctuations. What people have found out is that if you plug powerline units into some surge protectors they do not work at all since it blocks the signal. So in theory that same surge protector will block interference. It is just something to try power strips with surge protection are fairly common.

The best test is if you have a UPS would be to plug the monitor into the UPS and then unplug the UPS from the wall. The monitor is now running on batteries and not connected to the house wires. If it still interferes with the powerline it is transmitting the signal through the air. Most UPS also have surge...
Those rates are actually very slow, how old are the powerline units. Most people get over 100mbps with the newer units. Even the older ones get 30mbps for most people.

This unfortunately is the one big problem with powerline networks. Powerline can be though of a wifi that runs its signal over the copper wires. If some device happens to put out some kind of signal in the frequencies used by the powerline just like wifi you get data loss.

Most times it is something with a motor that causes the issue. I have a shop vac that can kill powerline no matter what room I plug it into.

It is likely the power block if you monitor uses one but it really doesn't matter since even if you can replace the power supply it maybe a design "feature". Trying a different socket is always a good first thing but doesn't always work. You can also try a power strip that has surge protection in it. This might filter the interference from the monitor.

Pretty much powerline is plug it in and either works or it doesn't. There is not much you can change or configure. The newer technology based on AV2 standard tends to have less issues with interference but my shop vac can completely kill those too even when the shop vac is out in the garage.

It depends on the surge protector. There primary function is not to filter signals it is to prevent power voltage fluctuations. What people have found out is that if you plug powerline units into some surge protectors they do not work at all since it blocks the signal. So in theory that same surge protector will block interference. It is just something to try power strips with surge protection are fairly common.

The best test is if you have a UPS would be to plug the monitor into the UPS and then unplug the UPS from the wall. The monitor is now running on batteries and not connected to the house wires. If it still interferes with the powerline it is transmitting the signal through the air. Most UPS also have surge protection but unless you are running on battery the device is still hooked to the power mains.

Solution