Monitor software for DS3

Garmy4

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I just built my first new system. It is based on GA-965P-DS3 board and e6600 CPU. Is there software to monitor the temps and other info? I know I can go into the bios but am looking for monitoring software.

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Core Temp or Intel TAT for accurate CPU temps under Idle/Load
Speedfan and CPU-Z for myriad of settings (fsb, Cpu speeds, etc.)
Also Memset if you really want to get into detailed memory timings. Those 4 or 5 are your best bet. TAT and CT are extremely accurate. Just Google them and download from a reputable site

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
EasyTune5 comes with the board, but I'm not a big fan. Like jonrem said, get CoreTemp and/or TAT for temps. CPUz is very handy as well for other settings.

timber715

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
does it happen to you that coretemp and tat have a 10C difference against easytune5?
is it more accurate than the mobo's support software?
been wanting to use them but the difference stops me from ocing higher than i would to maintain my temps, im from a warm country in asia. and my core temps are normal at 39C idle and reaches 55 on load. imagine a plus 10 reading gives me a scary 65C. cant even raise my vcore cause that increases my temp so much.

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Yes, the difference is because of the way (or rather) what the programs are attempting to measure. Officially C2D are listed by Intel as having a thermal threshold in the low 60s at the geographical center of the heat spreader. This is what EasyTune5 tries to measure. Other Intel processors have been listed by the tempature at the point where the core meets the die (much hotter here) and this is what CoreTemp and TAT attempt to measure. Keep in mind that all of the monitoring tools attempt to estimate this tempature with software and some variations should be expected.

I personally try to keep my CoreTemp/TAT figures below the 60 degree mark just because it makes me feel better. You can run EasyTune5 if doing that makes you feel better, but you'll still know that the others read 10 degrees higher so it's kind of like sticking your head in the sand by refusing to use them.

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Mak Daddy hit the nail on the head. It would be prudent to use CT and TAT because a 60 degree reading in those makes me a lot less scared than a 60 degree reading in EASYTUNE. I also really can't vouch for how accurate EASYTUNE is. I have the feeling that my System temps are being severely underestimated.

timber715

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
dont get me wrong, i prefer using et5 simply becauase its the support software of my mobo. but i do keep my temps on haold at 50 now. the info you gave on coretemp and tat is great. these information and is well accepted. will use core temp as it seems nicer.

thank you for taking time to reply... good day!!!

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I like TAT because it has the ability to run both cores at load and monitor at the same time instead of running CT and dual prime95 or something else to load the system. Guess I'm just lazy. :wink:

timber715

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Thank you all for the info, replies and feedbacks. looking forward to resuming my ocing as soon as watercooling arrives...
Cheers