Aug 24, 2019
Hi,

In about the last month I have had some trouble with the connection between my BenQ GL2450 and my computer (see below for specs):

Motherboard:
ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Socket-AM3+
ATX, 970+SB950, DDR3, 2xG2-PCIe-x16, CFX, SATA
6Gb/s, USB 3.0, UEFI

CPU:
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
Socket-AM3+, 4.0GHz, 8-Core, 8MB L2 + 8MB L3
Cache, 125W, 32nm, Boxed w/fan

GPU:
Sapphire Radeon R9 285 2GB GDDR5
PCI-Express 3.0, "Dual-X"

RAM:
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 8GB
8GB kit(4GBx2), CL9, 1.5V, CL9-9-9-24

Power supply:
Cooler Master G650M, 650W PSU
ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Modular, 4x 6+2pin
PCIe, 8x SATA, 6x Molex, 1x FD

CPU cooling system:
Corsair H55 Hydro Series CPU Cooler
115x/2011/2011-3/1366, AM2(+)/AM3(+)/FM1, 1700
RPM, 57 CFM, 30.32 dBA

Case:
Corsair Obsidian 450D Midi Tower Black
Fans: 2x 140mm Front, 1x 120mm Bak, ATX, mATX,
2x USB 3.0

Windows 10

I don't remember exactly when the issues started but I had a bluescreen (don't remember the error code) approximately a month back. The computer was rebooted and seemed to work fine afterwards. However, sometime later I turned on my PC and the monitor displayed "No signal detected!". The first things I did was to unplug cables (both monitor and power cables) and then try to switch on the PC again. I don't remember exactly what happened, but after awhile I got a signal, but the monitor suggested 1920x1080 as the resolution and I got to the AMI BIOS screen. Pressing F1 led me into the ASUS UEFI BIOS interface which I could get through either by saving changes and exiting or discarding changes and exiting. After that the computer boots normally, although with the time and date being that of when I last used the system.

This problem has then persisted on and off, but to get a signal I have always had to turn off the power, plug out cables and plugging them in again etc. I have changed the cables between the monitor and the PC to a new one and the monitor works fine with my Nintendo Switch. I have also reset the CMOS, changed the CMOS battery on the motherboard and flushed the BIOS but the problem persists. I have also removed the GPU and put it back in.

The weird thing is that I can be plugging things in and out for a long time and try other things as well, but then suddenly things start working for whatever reason. I am thinking it is either a problem with the power supply, motherboard or perhaps the GPU (although the GPU works fine when there actually is a signal). Bare in mind however that I have limited hardware knowledge so my suspicions could be completely off.

If necessary I can try to provide further details. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019
If the motherboard doesn't keep time and date replace the battery for starters. See if that helps.

It's an old system so might be hard to determine if something else gives problems and maybe need alternative parts for testing,look at gpu/psu etc.
I replaced the battery, but I haven't managed to get any signal so far. I will keep on trying to see if it works.

And I am aware that the system is old and should be replaced, but I do want to squeeze as much life out of it as possible.

Aug 24, 2019
I have a bit of an update. I haven't had the time to clean the computer due to work, but I now just booted the computer not thinking it would work, but it worked immediately. Last time it worked was last Friday, so a week ago. To me it feels like it might hint at something, but I don't know. Maybe someone has a guess?