[SOLVED] Monitor stays blank after PC boots up

arcwindz1

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
I got this problem where my PC boots up okay, it also enter windows correctly, but the display receive no signal for the whole thing (no BIOS screen and so forth), it's like a turned off monitor but i can hear the sound. restarting doesn'f fix the the problem

I've tried many things no faulty cable, GPU, or monitor, reseating the GPU and RAM usually work, but it happened more and more often lately, especially if in the previous session i played a game.

I got a temporal solution actually:
1. switch off the PSU
2. Disconnect the HDMI from GPU
3. Drain the power by pressing power button
4. Switch on PSU then reconnect HDMI
5. Fwalaa! It's on...

This solution by no means is a good solution to me, since i will do this only after I turned on my PC (and rage because the monitor stays blank), before force-turning-off my PC.

Other then that everything works fine though and i suspect it's my mobo (either software or hardware) but i got no budget to upgrade. Any idea what is going on here and what can i do?

I got Z68 Mobo with i5-2500k (no OC)
gtx 1070 through HDMI to a new 1080p monitor (also no OC, i tried to make everything neutral)
FSP 750w PSU, 5+years and never really test it
16gb RAM and 4 peripherals

Thanks in advance

Solution
Yes you can test the PSU with a multimeter.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

However, if you have not done so, find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

But before doing that, add up the wattage requirements of all installed components. Add 40% and compare to the PSU's wattage (750). Determine how much margin you have between load and PSU.

And consider that the PSU may not longer be capable of providing 750 watts (ideally established) and that the history of electrical problems may have indeed caused problems within the PSU and the components being served.

arcwindz1

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

I don't exactly know what to look for, but I checked the Reliability History and found nothing overly critical, except for some application failure (expected) and improper shutdown that happened because of forced-off that i did

The event viewer... I did look here several times, but like i said i got no idea what to look for. One kernel power (critical section) event for the forced shut down, some event in the Error section for application and distributedCOM, some warnings...

Ralston18

Titan
Suggest going back a step or so.

Try another known working cable between PC and monitor.

Try another known working monitor on your PC.

Try your monitor on another known working computer.

Determine if the problem stays with your PC or follows the monitor.

Power off, unplug, and open the PC case. Confirm that all cables are fully and firmly connected. Check that all cards, chips, jumpers, RAM, etc. are fully and firmly seated.

What are the 4 peripherals? Wondering if that 5 year old PSU is no longer up to the task of supporting your system.

Key is to narrow down the possibilities as much as possible. Either directly or by elimination.

arcwindz1

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

Keyboard and mouse, an external sound card (independent power), and a wifi modem
I never tried those steps comprehensively since i don't have the spare parts, but what i can tell:
1. This problem occured before but not always, now it's almost always
2. I can play games just fine, and the problems almost exclusively happened only after i played a game in the previous session.
3. I have a monitor (connected via DVI) that i changed to HDMI monitor, problem occured on both on the same GPU.
4. I also had almost the same problem with my old GTX580, last time i check the card is still good other then 1 fan dying
5. Last June i got this problem with ungrounded electricty that causes my GPU to cut-off in the middle of game/browsing videos and makes my pc case electrocute me, it's fixed now and it was okay for a while until i notice this problem in the last 2-3 weeks.

The PSU is supporting Mobo+Processor, GTX1070, 2 HDD, 1 SSD, 2 Ram, 4 fans, case LED + peripherals. Multimeter would be the only way to test PSU right?

I'll try to reseat everything again and grab another HDMI cable tomorrow since it's already night here.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes you can test the PSU with a multimeter.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

However, if you have not done so, find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

But before doing that, add up the wattage requirements of all installed components. Add 40% and compare to the PSU's wattage (750). Determine how much margin you have between load and PSU.

And consider that the PSU may not longer be capable of providing 750 watts (ideally established) and that the history of electrical problems may have indeed caused problems within the PSU and the components being served.

Solution

arcwindz1

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

So i've been doing this experiment. Since the GPU seems to be 'not detected' instead of 'not working', I tried to make the system somehow "modify the GPU at boot" by overclocking it. I use the manufacturer app and it somehow (weirdly) work... Now my computer boot just fine without display problem.

I've been busy this week, after the 2 days test over the weekend, i've not been able to test if the problem occurs again if i restore everything to default.

I don't really think it's my PSU since my components needs about 400-450w, i think it's my aging mobo since the software has not been updated by the manufacture for a very long time, might be a problem somewhere with Nvidia power saving feature or something.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I see this problem occurs in a lot of thread but there doesn't seem to be a single solution to this.