Question Monitor stopped extending and is stuck duplicating

awsomejake

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
TLDR: My two monitors are stuck in duplicate mode. The weird thing is that in display settings is says it can't detect either of the monitors and in the device manager it just says I have one generic PnP monitor hooked up.

I have 2 monitors and I normally have them in the extend mode. Today I turned on my PC and everything was normal then all of the sudden my screens went black and didn't turn back on. The pc stayed on and my music continued to play but I couldn't get the monitors to turn on so I restarted my PC. When it came back on the two monitors were in duplicate mode. When I go into display settings it doesn't show that there is a second monitor hooked up and doesn't detect the second monitor when I press the detect button yet the second monitor shows the same stuff as the first.

In the device manager it says there is only one monitor hooked up and it is called generic PnP monitor which is not what used to come up for either of my monitors if I remember correctly.

I initially went to check my windows updates and that didn't help. Then I consulted the internet and tried to restart and repair my PC but that changed nothing. I couldn't find any resources on the internet that covered my specific situation so I came here.