[SOLVED] Monitor stopped working and PC wouldn't post

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
I didn't know know if I should put this in displays, GPU's or motherboard. Since what I did seem to fix the issue I decided to go with displays.

So I was dusting my PC desk and I saw some dust on my monitor cable so I took a swiffer sweeper and cleaned the dust off of it. I didn't unplug it and I wasn't rough with it. But my monitor cut off and wouldn't come back on. My PC was still running even though I could see nothing on my monitor. So I shut my PC off using the power switch on the PSU and unplugged the power cable to the monitor and displayport cable. I then plugged everything back in and flipped the switch on the PSU. I pressed the power button on the front of my case and my PC would post. I looked inside the case through the plastic window and seen that one of the error lights were on. I don't know which one it was but since I wasn't getting a display on the monitor I though it might be a VGA error.

The light is so bright I can't see exactly which one it is and I didn't have a flashlight near me at the time. So I shut the PC off from the switch on the PSU and I shut the monitor off which is now working just my PC wont post. So I went and got another displayportcable and a HDMI cable. I disconnect the displayport cable from the GPU and monitor and I connect the other cable to the monitor and GPU. I try to start my GPU and it's the same issue. So I shut down the PC again from the switch in the back. I flip it again to and try to power my PC back up out of desperation hoping it would work and nothing, it still won't post and I am getting an error light on the motherboard. I then shut the PC down from the switch on the back and go away for a while. I was probably gone for about 30 minutes. Then I come back and decide to try another port on the monitor. So I connect the cable to the other displayport on the monitor and it works. My PC will now post and boot with no error lights.

Also I unplugged all the USB devices even my printer while doing this, everything except the Keyboard. I even disconnected the wireless mouse dongle from the keyboard USB port

This is a PC I built myself. I built it last year. It's not my first build. I built one in 2016 just with a intel CPU.

My specs are

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit fully updated
Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus (no wifi)
R7 3700x
16GGB DDR4 G skill brand packaging said it works with Ryzen
MSI RTX 2070 Super
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD 750W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode
Storage is 1 4TB samsung SSD and 1 2TB Samsng SSD

I thought error lights on the motherboard were supposed to indicate problems with the motherboard. How did changing from one port on my monitor fix the issue? Also has anyone else ever had this happen to them? It's really weird. I can deal with some PC issues but this one is beyond my skill and knowledge?

Before I had this issue everything was working fine. I was playing games and surfing the web with no issues. My PC ran fine, I would say even great. I checked all the hardware in Windows and CPUID CPU-Z and it's all there. I haven't been into the BIOS yet though.

Also I did a BIOS update last night and it worked fine through that. Then I upgraded the chipset drivers which required a restart as well and I had no issues through any of it.

Solution
Often times disconnecting an reconnecting parts/connectors or the wall outlet to regain system response indicate a grounding issue. I've dealt with about 15 system this past year where they refused to power up in client's house, when it came to me, they worked off the bat or after I pressed and held the power button(while disconnected from the wall outlet and all devices) to see it powered up after reconnecting to all connectors and peripherals/displays.

Just for the sake of relevance, can you state the BIOS version you're on? What sots are the rams populating on the board? Disconnect the HDD from the build and see if you can regain response/power to the system?

Lutfij

Titan
Often times disconnecting an reconnecting parts/connectors or the wall outlet to regain system response indicate a grounding issue. I've dealt with about 15 system this past year where they refused to power up in client's house, when it came to me, they worked off the bat or after I pressed and held the power button(while disconnected from the wall outlet and all devices) to see it powered up after reconnecting to all connectors and peripherals/displays.

Just for the sake of relevance, can you state the BIOS version you're on? What sots are the rams populating on the board? Disconnect the HDD from the build and see if you can regain response/power to the system?

Solution

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014

I am using version 4002 for my BIOS. The RAM is in the second and fourth slot cause that's the slots the diagram in manual showed for dual channel.

I connected the displayport cable to the port on the monitor I was using before and got the same issue again. I am sure it's a bad port on my monitor. I have two displayports on my monitor and I am using the second now and it works fine with no issues.

Thinking back to it I did pick up my PC a few times and tried to move it and I forgot to unplug the cable connecting the GPU and monitor. It wasn't like I jerked it hard or anything. But I guess after that happening a few times it damaged the port on the monitor. I have to be me careful with my stuff I guess. Now I have a monitor with 3 HDMI ports, 1 bad displayport and 1 good displayport. That or it was just defective from the factory. But I most likely did it.

But thanks for the help anyway. At least you responded. I tried to get help from other places and no one would even respond. I guess my issue wasn't interesting enough. lol