Question Monitor stuck in sleep mode after installing new RAM ?

vz3013

Prominent
Aug 3, 2022
Hello, I have one of those computers that you use for mining bitcoin using graphic cards, but I have a problem, my computer has American Megatrends BIOS, 64 bit, one 4gb ram stick, a MSI GTX 1080 graphic card, and windows 10, (backstory) My dad used to use this computer for bitcoin mining, I've had many problems with it before for example my USB risers that stopped working but I made it as a gaming pc, so here is where the problem started, I added a 8gb ram stick into the second slot to make game compatibilities better, so after I put the second ram stick, my monitor wouldn't get out of sleep mode, I tried every variation of putting the rams, in different slots and so forth, I have taken out the cr2032 battery and unplugged the pc to reset the bios but that still wont work, put in a new USB riser, but now I'm thinking, what if I put in a complete riser instead of a USB riser, the Riser changes the graphic card connector from a x16 PCI-E to a x1 PCI-E connector, if you search up PCI-E USB 3.0 riser you can see what I mean. BUT when I connect my projector which doesn't have any kind of power saving mode option works when I connect it to my graphic card, could it be a problem with the actual pc, or the VGA cable, I tried different HDMI to VGA gator cables and they worked so I'm thinking it is the cable, I hope it isn't the actual graphic card because I spent a precious 700 or 800$ on it when it was the graphic card of its days. anyone got ideas?

vz3013

Prominent
Aug 3, 2022
what the spec of the old ram and new ram?
I cant check the brands today but this is what i basically did, I had a 4gb ram but in the second slot I added a 8gb ram stick that I took out of an identical pc that was also in the second slot so when I moved it my pc wouldn't get my computer to work, ill try getting rid of the power saving mode function but after my computer didn't work I switched out the ram sticks and tried all combinations and my screen wouldn't work, so I put the old ram stick into slot 1 as it used to be and now my screen still doesn't work, so now I wish I never tried adding ram.

vz3013

Prominent
Aug 3, 2022
did you test with just the old ram? or just the new ram?

there are label on the ram that tell you the model and spec
sorry for being months late, that computer is sitting and collecting dust :( so I returned, I tried multiple variations with both ram, so I put old ram in slot 1 like it was, then fully disconnected the gpu and computer boots up, (the BIOS monitor setting for external/internal graphics is set to auto by the way), but when gpu connected monitor is always stuck in sleep mode, could it be a problem with my gator cable HDMI to 15 pin adapter? or my usb riser?

vz3013

Prominent
Aug 3, 2022
sound like something else got loose when you install the ram. recheck everything include power cable
I checked all cables, and it works for some reason, I do have a suspicion on gator cable adapters, I tested all 3 of mine and the monitor simply wont get out of sleep mode, but when i connect a projector directly thru HDMI port, everything shows up.