[SOLVED] Monitor suddenly detected as "Generic Non-PnP monitor" ?

Apr 30, 2021
I have two ET.LU50D.006 monitors from Acer plugged into an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3Gb graphics card.

One of the monitors works fine still, but last night the other monitor switched from being a normal "Generic PnP" monitor to a "Generic Non-PnP" monitor ?

Sometimes I am able to get the non-working monitor to change resolution to 1920x1080 after reinstalling the drivers many times(though it still shows as a DVI Digital Display monitor in Nvidia control panel), but then after a PC restart the settings are lost all over again.

I have tried:

• Updating my graphics drivers (Both to the latest recommended gaming and studio drivers)
  • Running windows update
  • Switching the HDMI port on the back of the graphics card for the two monitors
  • Switching the cables on the backs of the monitors
  • Uninstalling the "Generic Non-PnP" driver
  • Updating the driver to be a Generic PnP driver (But the monitor is still showing as non-PnP)
  • Updating the driver to be the manufacturers driver for the monitor (But for both the PnP and Non-PnP they just retain being what they were before)
  • Updating the driver to a digital display with the 1920x 1080 resolution (Did not override the non-PnP driver)
  • System restore to before I had the issue.

I have now run out of ideas of how to fix the issue. Please can you help me ?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any entries just prior to the monitor's "switch".

Start with Reliability History: much more user friendly and the timeline format is very helpful. I.e., "last night".

Also look in Update History - any Windows updates (successful or otherwise) just before the "switch"?

Apr 30, 2021
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any entries just prior to the monitor's "switch".

Start with Reliability History: much more user friendly and the timeline format is very helpful. I.e., "last night".

Also look in Update History - any Windows updates (successful or otherwise) just before the "switch"?

Before the switch I had 3 successful Security updates on that day during that session before turning off my PC for the day:

• KB2267602 (ver 1.337.170.0)
  • KB2267602 (ver 1.337.186.0)
  • KB2267602 (ver 1.337.188.0)

Though I did try doing a system restore to the day before these updates were installed

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to test each of the monitors on another known working computer to determine if they appear as PnP or Non-PnP.

Another thing you can do is run the following cmdlet via Powershell:

Get-PnPDevice -Class "Monitor"

The results should be similar to the following from my computer (XXXX being a redaction of my Users name).

PS C:\Users\XXXX> Get-PnPDevice -Class "Monitor"

Status Class FriendlyName InstanceId
------ ----- ------------ ----------
OK Monitor ViewSonic VX2452 Series DISPLAY\VSCD...

Your output should list your two Acer Monitors.

If only one monitor or no monitor appears then run the cmdlet with only one monitor connected at a time to determine which one is not appearing as a PnP device.

Another option is to just run Get-PnPDevice

The result is likely to be a long list of PnP devices that you can scroll through - maybe something else is amiss.

Apr 30, 2021
Hello, I tried connecting the monitors to another PC. I had the same issue there, except the non-working monitor wouldn't connect at all (the working monitor did work fine).

I ran the command and got (I only have the two monitors connected at the moment, but did have other monitors in the past I guess since this is an older PC that has been upgraded over time?):

Status Class FriendlyName InstanceId
------ ----- ------------ ----------
Unknown Monitor Generic PnP Monitor DISPLAY\ACR0...
OK Monitor Generic PnP Monitor DISPLAY\ACR0...
OK Monitor Generic Non-PnP Monitor DISPLAY\DEFA...
Unknown Monitor Generic PnP Monitor DISPLAY\ACR0...