Question Monitor Suddenly Has Extreme Red tint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2021
The Problem:

I have 2 monitors, and one of them is completely red. Everything else is working fine. I can still see the desktop and everything but it's all red. Other monitor is fine. When only one monitor is in use, the "problem" monitor is fine. When I start the computer the bios splash screen is fine, but when windows loads and both monitors come on, the one screen turns to red. If I unplug DP cables and plug them back in, I can get the red to go on the other monitor. I have since also plugged in an older Samsung monitor (3 monitors in total now) and cant get the red tint to show up on it (It stays on one of the MSI monitors). Also interesting to note that if I take a screenshot on the affected monitor, the image displays normally. Here is a pic of the issue.

How It Started:

I was watching Twitch and the one monitor just turned red out of no where.

What I Have Tried So Far:
  1. Tried different cables. (using DP cables)
  2. Tried using different ports on GPU
  3. Tried re-seating GPU
  4. Hooked up a different source to verify the monitor is working (it is)
  5. Tried Windows night light, Windows color manager, and Nvidia control panel color settings.
  6. Tried different resolutions and refresh rates on both monitors.
  7. Re-installed windows (started getting the red screen about half way through the install)
Build Specs:

Monitors:
MSI MAG274R - 1920 x 1080 144hz (this is the one that is red)
MSI MAG274QRF-Q - 2560 x 1440 165hz
System:
ASUS Prime x570-pro
AMD Ryzen7 3800x
Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 32gb (16 x 2) 3200mhz
MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z
Corsair RM750X
Seagate Firecuda 1TB M.2 NVME
Windows 10 64bit

I am running out of ideas here. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I also have a problem where enabling freesync/adaptive sync will crash my entire system. I was just able to re-create this to verify. haha Worst part is when it crashes the computer won't even boot after. Have to clear CMOS, remove battery etc... Thought this may be relevant or related.

Edit 2: With all the troubleshooting I've been doing, I was able to get the red tint on to the 3rd monitor, which leads me to believe this may be system (hardware)/software related. Also when the red tint is on the 2160 x 1440 monitor, if I have a couple chrome tabs open there it will sometimes display color properly except for a red line at the bottom which i believe to be the hidden task bar. This only lasts 1 or 2 seconds at most though.

Last edited:

Alex Storm

Commendable
Mar 2, 2021
The Problem:

I have 2 monitors, and one of them is completely red. Everything else is working fine. I can still see the desktop and everything but it's all red. Other monitor is fine. When only one monitor is in use, the "problem" monitor is fine. When I start the computer the bios splash screen is fine, but when windows loads and both monitors come on, the one screen turns to red. If I unplug DP cables and plug them back in, I can get the red to go on the other monitor. I have since also plugged in an older Samsung monitor (3 monitors in total now) and cant get the red tint to show up on it (It stays on one of the MSI monitors). Also interesting to note that if I take a screenshot on the affected monitor, the image displays normally. Here is a pic of the issue.

How It Started:

I was watching Twitch and the one monitor just turned red out of no where.

What I Have Tried So Far:
  1. Tried different cables. (using DP cables)
  2. Tried using different ports on GPU
  3. Tried re-seating GPU
  4. Hooked up a different source to verify the monitor is working (it is)
  5. Tried Windows night light, Windows color manager, and Nvidia control panel color settings.
  6. Tried different resolutions and refresh rates on both monitors.
  7. Re-installed windows (started getting the red screen about half way through the install)
Build Specs:

Monitors:
MSI MAG274R - 1920 x 1080 144hz (this is the one that is red)
MSI MAG274QRF-Q - 2560 x 1440 165hz
System:
ASUS Prime x570-pro
AMD Ryzen7 3800x
Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 32gb (16 x 2) 3200mhz
MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z
Corsair RM750X
Seagate Firecuda 1TB M.2 NVME
Windows 10 64bit

I am running out of ideas here. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I also have a problem where enabling freesync/adaptive sync will crash my entire system. I was just able to re-create this to verify. haha Worst part is when it crashes the computer won't even boot after. Have to clear CMOS, remove battery etc... Thought this may be relevant or related.

Edit 2: With all the troubleshooting I've been doing, I was able to get the red tint on to the 3rd monitor, which leads me to believe this may be system (hardware)/software related. Also when the red tint is on the 2160 x 1440 monitor, if I have a couple chrome tabs open there it will sometimes display color properly except for a red line at the bottom which i believe to be the hidden task bar. This only lasts 1 or 2 seconds at most though.
I understand correctly - did you connect the monitor to another working system unit? If not, then you need to do it.

Alex Storm

Commendable
Mar 2, 2021
I have connected a Nintendo Switch via HDMI. Unfortunately I don't have any other PC's to test with over DP.
Before starting to search for possible problems and ways to solve them, it is advisable to connect the screen to another system unit. This will help narrow down the possible causes. But if you do not have this opportunity, can you at least install another working video card in order to exclude the malfunction of your video adapter. In your case, I see two problems - either the video card or the monitor matrix is faulty. If everything is OK, then the problem is hardware-based.

Mar 2, 2021
Before starting to search for possible problems and ways to solve them, it is advisable to connect the screen to another system unit. This will help narrow down the possible causes. But if you do not have this opportunity, can you at least install another working video card in order to exclude the malfunction of your video adapter. In your case, I see two problems - either the video card or the monitor matrix is faulty. If everything is OK, then the problem is hardware-based.
Thanks. I am trying to convince a friend of mine to bring his 3070 over to stick in my death machine. He's understandably a bit nervous about it though. I am tending to think it's either the video card or the PCIe slot since I can get the problem to show up on any of my monitors depending on when they are plugged in or switched on or off.

Alex Storm

Commendable
Mar 2, 2021
Thanks. I am trying to convince a friend of mine to bring his 3070 over to stick in my death machine. He's understandably a bit nervous about it though. I am tending to think it's either the video card or the PCIe slot since I can get the problem to show up on any of my monitors depending on when they are plugged in or switched on or off.
I wish your problem to be resolved as soon as possible.

Mar 2, 2021
Is anything overclocked? Seems like an issue with the video card since the issue happened during a Windows setup and can change with the cable and monitor. Contact the card vendor see what they say.
I'm not overclocking anything. wouldn't even know where to start with that. I contacted MSI and they said to pop in another GPU to make sure it's not the PCIe slot.

Alex Storm

Commendable
Mar 2, 2021
I'm not overclocking anything. wouldn't even know where to start with that. I contacted MSI and they said to pop in another GPU to make sure it's not the PCIe slot.
You can do the following: connect your monitor to your friend's system unit, if it works, connect your video adapter to your friend's system unit, if this also works, then the problem is in your MB. Exclusion method.

Mar 2, 2021
Here is my latest update.

I switched the GPU to PCIe slot 2. There was no change. However last night I noticed 3 things that are interesting. 1. In Corsair iCue, if I switch from home to dashboard the red would disappear briefly, and is consistently repeatable. 2. I fired up call of duty warzone. The red would go away when the game loads, and re-appears in the lobby/menu. Once in a game, it goes away and displays normally In game there is FPS and GPU temp monitoring. 3. If I open MSI Afterburner it goes away without changing any settings. I Have closed Afterburner and so far the red has stayed away for about 5 min now. This leads me to believe there is something with monitoring software involved.

Alex Storm

Commendable
Mar 2, 2021
Here is my latest update.

I switched the GPU to PCIe slot 2. There was no change. However last night I noticed 3 things that are interesting. 1. In Corsair iCue, if I switch from home to dashboard the red would disappear briefly, and is consistently repeatable. 2. I fired up call of duty warzone. The red would go away when the game loads, and re-appears in the lobby/menu. Once in a game, it goes away and displays normally In game there is FPS and GPU temp monitoring. 3. If I open MSI Afterburner it goes away without changing any settings. I Have closed Afterburner and so far the red has stayed away for about 5 min now. This leads me to believe there is something with monitoring software involved.
Try to uninstall the software

Biggest reason to ask about overclocking is that your motherboard and CPU are something that a person that would overclock would buy. Very few people would spend money on a high end motherboard unless they were going to be overclocking.

MSI Afterburner has settings in it that can change clock speed and fan speeds, as well as many other options, which can cause the video card to act funny.

Mar 2, 2021
The red screens have gone away mysteriously. Was good for a few days now. Now I have a new problem. I got little black or white squared popping up on my screens but only in windows 10, and only in certain situations. Like if I have a YouTube video in full screen everything is fine until I mouse into that screen. Started happening last night when playing warzone and all the graphics went wacky.

Seems like I can't go a week without having a new mystery to solve. Really getting kind of annoyed since all my hardware is basically new.

The red screens have gone away mysteriously. Was good for a few days now. Now I have a new problem. I got little black or white squared popping up on my screens but only in windows 10, and only in certain situations. Like if I have a YouTube video in full screen everything is fine until I mouse into that screen. Started happening last night when playing warzone and all the graphics went wacky.

Seems like I can't go a week without having a new mystery to solve. Really getting kind of annoyed since all my hardware is basically new.

Same thing would cause those squares. Video card issues. Maybe something with the drivers. Did you ever contact support for the video card?

Mar 2, 2021
I'm going to try and get an RMA. I put a gtx 760 in and the problem went away. I put my card in a friend's pc and he got the same artifacts problem I was having. The source of the problem seems pretty clear now.

Reactions: Alex Storm
Status
Not open for further replies.