Ryzen 5800x cpu (recent upgrade)
B550 mobo
Vega 56 gpu 2 years old
8G 3200 ddr4*4 ram
Corsair hx1000i psu 4 years old
1 m2 ssd
2 Sata ssd
1 hdd

I have read a dozens of post with the same title but can’t find a good solution, I think my situation is more complicated.
Couple days ago when I turn on the pc and try to start a video game after returning from work day, it suddenly restarted, tried again and same thing happened. I was able to get in repair mode and roll the pc back to the backup point, which affected a few windows update, and the game would start fine afterwards.

After couple hours of gaming I closed game and left the pc on and went for a break, after about 15 mins I noticed the computer didn’t go into sleep mode but both monitors has lost display signal. I tried restart and the mobo vga check light went on. Tried to reset cmos battery too and no luck

After few failed attempts I replaced the video card with my old r9 390x gpu and it works. So I made the assumption that my gpu was dead. And it messed up with windows after so many failed boot so I had to reinstall windows completely.

Yesterday while I was working (mainly spreadsheets), the display suddenly lost signal again. First restart failed and I got mobo vga warning, tried again and it went through and worked.
And today the same thing happened again, I can tell the pc is still running because I was playing game and the bgm was still on. Tried restart and it won’t boot but having vga warning light. I tried unplug the video card and put it back on, and reset cmos, it boots up after several attempts.

Now I have couple questions,
  1. The only thing I have not tried was the psu, it was purchased in Jan 2017, 4 years shouldn’t be an old age for psu, especially for this high end model, but could it be the the problem?
  2. The consumption for r9 390x is actually much higher than Vega 56, if it’s the psu then why would r9 runs but not Vega 56? I don’t have another system ready to test the video card so I can’t really tell if it is really dead.
  3. Could it be the cpu problem? I noticed lot people had problems with ryzen new build and seems it has compatible issue with some windows update, it took me a while to figure it out when I first upgrade it in Jan, but it works perfectly fine for the last two months.
Please share your thoughts and if you are using the same psu or cpu please let me know if you have the same issue.

Thank you :)

Update:
I was running one screen this morning and it works fine for hour and half. After I hook my second monitor on through DVI the black screen happened in 2 minutes. I tried to restart but VGA warning light on and it wont boot, I also hear wired fan noise, but I'm not sure from PSU or GPU. After remove the second monitor it boot up again.
I'm pretty sure the GPU is good (tested on my wife's pc last week, sadly the case wont fit Vega56 and I'm too lazy to take it out the case to test), so that add the belief to a faulty PSU.

Update again:
New PSU arrived, has been running with both screens on for 2 hours with no problem at all.
Unfortunately my Vega 56 is dead dead, probably got fried by the faulty PSU.

Last edited:
Solution
I would have thought of the same thing too - the PSU.

The PSU tester would come in handy too - try the Thermaltake if you plan on getting one.

The PSU probably is not totally dead, but could be on its way to the end. It is wise to get a new PSU, no matter what, since it's going on 5 years old. You have wear and tear, and life varies, especially on heavy usage and load.

I hope this is solved by the new PSU.

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021

The PSU tester would come in handy too - try the Thermaltake if you plan on getting one.

The PSU probably is not totally dead, but could be on its way to the end. It is wise to get a new PSU, no matter what, since it's going on 5 years old. You have wear and tear, and life varies, especially on heavy usage and load.

Solution
Mar 24, 2021

I was hoping to get an Evga or Thermaltake with tester but seems crazy miner not only raided all the v card but also the PSUs, none of 750w+ model are available until a month later, unless I pay double on for them. So I'm gonna give Corsair another try and getting the RMx750.