Monitor suddenly not displaying HDMI, but only for my PC

whutupribs

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
This is a bit of an odd one. I was going out of town for a night and left my PC on, as I always do. I came back the next day to a black screen. This monitor has had an issue for a while where the screen goes black for a second or two whenever a major appliance in the house kicks on. It was irritating, but (I assumed) harmless. Occasionally the screen would stay black and I'd have to unplug the HDMI cable from the monitor and plug it back in. Well, I tried that this time and it didn't work. I've unplugged the monitor completely, restarted the PC several times, and switched the outlet I had the monitor plugged into. It will display the input menu, but nothing else. I even switched the GPU out in my PC, thinking maybe my GPU was fried, but to no avail. My GPU works perfectly through HDMI with other monitors, and VGA works as well. The monitor gets power and still displays the menus, but doesn't recognize HDMI. All my drivers are up to date, I'm very meticulous about that. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Okay, this just keeps getting stranger. I hooked up a spare PC to my monitor via HDMI, and it worked perfectly. I hooked up my PC to the TV via HDMI, and it worked perfectly. So now I've got a monitor that works via HDMI and a PC that works via HDMI, but they don't work together. I'm completely stumped here.

Noshiz

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Is it possible to test it with a second PC using HDMI (be it desktop or laptop)? Maybe your monitors HDMI got fried? Does your monitor has any other ports like VGA, DVI? Did you try testing them as well?

whutupribs

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

I haven't tried to hook up another PC through HDMI, but I do have a laptop hooked up tot he monitor via VGA right now, and it's working fine. I suppose it's possible that the monitor's HDMI port is fried, but I don't think so. The monitor recognizes that there's input to the HDMI port, because I get a black screen and a blinking power light rather than the "check input cable" prompt that shows up when I unplug the HDMI cable from the PC or the monitor.

Noshiz

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Did you check the cable then? Any spare HDMI cables around?

EDIT: Sorry i just realized that you already checked the HDMI cable. If VGA works on the monitor i would try again with either different HDMI cable (just in case) and a different PC, if the problem persists then probably it's the HDMI port on the monitor.

whutupribs

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Yes I did, I've tried three separate cables. Also, I just hooked up a different PC to the monitor via HDMI and it worked fine. That leads me to believe that the problem is with my PC, but that doesn't make much sense. I've hooked the PC up to a different monitor through HDMI and it worked fine.