Monitor Suggestions! (1440p 120+Hz)

grady

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Hey guys, so I'm sure a thread like this has possibly been made before, but I had a few extra twists that I wanted to see if they could be satisfied.

So! First I will start of with my current build:

Nvidia GTX 1080
i5 3470
Asrock z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance, 24GB DDR3
WD Caviar black 2TB
Sumsung Evo Pro 258GB SSD
Evga Supernova 650W G2
LG 24EN43 1080P 60Hz Monitor

And, the template stickied (With a few irrelevant Qs deleted)

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin?
UK

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor?
Games :)

3. What resolution and screen size do you want?
1440p. 27"+, but not much bigger

4. What refresh rate do you want?
>120Hz

5. How much are you looking to spend?
£500-700

6. Brands Preferred
N/A

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why)
N/A

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor?
No

9. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display?
Primary

Two other notes!

I use desktop speakers. I do not need (And in fact would prefer not to have) speakers on my monitor.

All the lighting and decoration on my rig is blue! One thing that really gets on my nerves is how all of the monitors in this range seem to be glaring red with their stands/lights! I would *prefer* a neutral colour, BUT, not if its a big sacrifice in quality.

Thanks!

grady

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
That looks pretty good!

I forgot to mention in my post, but do you think you have a G-sync alternative?

Or just any advice on the syncing mattter. Thing is, I regularly get 100+ fps on my 1080 monittor at the moment. But I have NEVER noticed screen tearing. Is it more visible on higher resolutions/refresh rates?

grady

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Then I guess I don't really need G-sync! Gonna pick you as a solution.

Plus, if I try the monitor and notice shitloads of tearing I'll probably be able to return it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
27" 1440p 144hz gsync is the way to go. 1080p still looks good if you want more more fps, or 1440p for crisper look. Any rate, your card can push 1440p (no aa) near 100fps. Gsync is variable sync so min's and max's fps will seem seemingly smooth.

60Hz monitor if you exceed the refresh the frames clash thus tear happens as frames are torn apart because the gpu is pumping too many frames into the monitor before it's ready to display the frame before. Vsync/Fast sync eliminates that, use fast sync instead if you hate input lag.

But if you don't notice tearing, thats a special trait to have. That means you don't need gsync at all as you say ;P