Monitor Suggestions? Mostly for watching videos, light gaming

xtacace

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Hi, I was wondering if you could suggest some good monitors that can play videos with utmost smoothness from a minimum of 60 fps, or more also some light gaming.

I'm not really familiar with monitors though I've researched quite a bit that there is a major difference from buying a TV compared to a proper PC Monitor, really not sure what.

So what I'm aiming at is around 21" to 27", would be able to watch on netflix in HD, also watching some 1080p movies, with utmost smoothness, cause the monitor that I have right now, I don't even know what is the make and model of it but I've tried to watch some 1080p and 720p movies, I couldn't tell the difference except the sharpness, or till I watch it on our TV. which is an old model, a Samsung H5500.

As for light gaming, I mostly play DOTA 2, and LoL. Just those 2. Not very keen on the gaming part but if the smoothness of watching a video be dragged along on the gaming part then that's sweet.

Not really sure if this is needed, but here's what I have:

CPU: Intel Core i3 550 3.20ghz
GPU: gt 730 2gb ddr3
RAM: 4gb ddr3

fairly satisfied on how it performs on the games that I listed so not planning to do any upgrades soon, just the monitor, and thankfully the gt 730 has HDMI,

Last question, would the graphics card affect the way it renders movies when I watch them? or is it strictly the capability of the monitor?

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

WildCard999

Titan
Budget?

For the price I like this 27" 1080P60hz/IPS panel, the IPS makes your colors look much better over a TN panel and 27" is fairly large so movies/videos should look pretty good on it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Monitor: LG - 27MC37HQ-B 27.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($139.99 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $139.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-20 10:52 EDT-0400

As for you last question it's a mix of both the monitor and GPU, the GPU has to support the monitors resolution/refresh rate and input and the monitor has to have good features (such as IPS) to have better quality during videos.

xtacace

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

Thank you so much for the suggestion! Yup, I'm gonna check that monitor in our local market and see if it is available as I want to see it in person first, cause I have had some bad experiences ordering online. As for the GPU, what GPU would you suggest that can cope with what the monitor can offer?