[SOLVED] Monitor suggestions!!

Bzay9020

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016
Hey all! I’ve been looking for a decent monitor for a while now, and figure now is probably a good time to go for it. Here’s what I’m looking for!
1440p
27/28”
120+ Refresh
1ms Response
Curved would be amazing, but not required.

I’ll be using both with my Xbox One X and a PC that I’ll soon be buying. (Don’t have my mind set on a pc yet, so suggestions would be great!)

I’d like to stick below $350 but if I can get similar bang for my buck in the $200-300 range, that’d be awesome! This is what I’m currently thinking!
VIOTEK GN27DW 27-Inch Curved Gaming Monitor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H8MQ2Y1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5Ln5DbQKE1Q9K

Solution
There are no professional reviews of that unit, which is usually, as an indicator, a bad sign. Any unit even remotely worth considering as a gaming display generally has a review on one of the major review sites like rtings.com, pcmonitors.info, techspot.com, tftcentral.com or a couple of others. If there is not one, then it's usually because it's either too new to have been reviewed yet or is simply not worth reviewing because it's a waste of time, or because the manufacturer knows it will get poor scores and therefore they choose not to send out review samples while the review sites choose not to waste their limited review investment budget on it either.

This is a good unit, but somewhat more expensive than you wanted. Bottom line...
There are no professional reviews of that unit, which is usually, as an indicator, a bad sign. Any unit even remotely worth considering as a gaming display generally has a review on one of the major review sites like rtings.com, pcmonitors.info, techspot.com, tftcentral.com or a couple of others. If there is not one, then it's usually because it's either too new to have been reviewed yet or is simply not worth reviewing because it's a waste of time, or because the manufacturer knows it will get poor scores and therefore they choose not to send out review samples while the review sites choose not to waste their limited review investment budget on it either.

This is a good unit, but somewhat more expensive than you wanted. Bottom line is, for a 1440p at 27" or higher with a high refresh rate and low response time, and few if any shortcomings, you're unlikely to find that for under 300 bucks except in the model I linked to earlier which is an exceptionally good monitor if you can look past the fact that it's a little larger than you would have preferred. Honestly, sitting side by side with my 27" monitor, considering that the dimensions are measured corner to corner rather than vertically or horizontally, it's not that much bigger than the 27" sitting next to it.

But this is a good choice as well, with it's only real shortcoming being the fact that it has mediocre contrast, much like most IPS panels do to some degree. So long as you don't game in a primarily very dark room, it wouldn't be likely to even be noticeable.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $379.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-02 23:20 EST-0500

Obviously there are lower priced units out there, but at this size with that feature set, anything cheaper is going to be seriously lacking in one area or another.

Reactions: Bzay9020
Solution

Bzay9020

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016

This is a good unit, but somewhat more expensive than you wanted. Bottom line is, for a 1440p at 27" or higher with a high refresh rate and low response time, and few if any shortcomings, you're unlikely to find that for under 300 bucks except in the model I linked to earlier which is an exceptionally good monitor if you can look past the fact that it's a little larger than you would have preferred. Honestly, sitting side by side with my 27" monitor, considering that the dimensions are measured corner to corner rather than vertically or horizontally, it's not that much bigger than the 27" sitting next to it.

But this is a good choice as well, with it's only real shortcoming being the fact that it has mediocre contrast, much like most IPS panels do to some degree. So long as you don't game in a primarily very dark room, it wouldn't be likely to even be noticeable.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $379.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-02 23:20 EST-0500

Obviously there are lower priced units out there, but at this size with that feature set, anything cheaper is going to be seriously lacking in one area or another.

Thanks a ton for the info! Realistically I could probably work with a 32” if it was curved, but not so convinced on a 32” flat monitor honestly. That LG seems excellent, I’ll likely go with it unless there’s a better deal for a similar but curved 32”.