[SOLVED] Monitor Switch?

Feb 9, 2021
First time poster long time lurker.

So I just started working from home. I have a office desk area and they sent laptop and monitor, which I set up in a different spot . Not enough room on my desk.

Well I hate the workspace. I want my large monitors. Is there a monitor hub/switch?

So I would need to plug my laptop HDMI into some sort of hub. Have my monitors plug into the hub and have my work desktop on my monitors. I have looked around online but I am unsure what to choose there seems to be quite a lot out there.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Solution

So I just started working from home. I have a office desk area and they sent laptop and monitor, which I set up in a different spot . Not enough room on my desk.

Well I hate the workspace. I want my large monitors. Is there a monitor hub/switch?

So I would need to plug my laptop HDMI into some sort of hub. Have my monitors plug into the hub and have my work desktop on my monitors. I have looked around online but I am unsure what to choose there seems to be quite a lot out there.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
HDMI is one-to-one on monitors. You can't easily have multiple monitors from a single HDMI on your laptop. For a second large monitor you could look at a USB to HDMI adapter.
I plug both my personal desktop and my work laptop into each of my monitors (each monitor has 2 cables running to it). Simply use the input source selection on each monitor to display whatever PC you want to view. No KVM switches necessary.

*I do have a USB3.0 switch that I plug my mouse/keyboard/printer into, which then connects to each machine. There's a toggle source button on the switch to select which machine is using the kb/mouse/printer.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
You should look into a dual computer and dual monitor KVM switch like the CKL 2 Port Dual Monitor KVM Switch

Could you post the model of the monitor where the laptop will be connected.

If the monitor your are connecting the laptop has more than one port (e.g. HDMI +HDMI or HDMI + DP) you could just get a cable to connect the laptop to it.

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks in advance.

Steve
HDMI is one-to-one on monitors. You can't easily have multiple monitors from a single HDMI on your laptop. For a second large monitor you could look at a USB to HDMI adapter.

Solution