Question Monitor turning green onscreen + monitor going into standby

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
I haven't had this issue in awhile now, but maybe a month and a half ago it was quite common. I'd be in the middle of gaming and the monitor would suddenly turn green. The game still ran and responded to commands but the picture would not return. I'd have to unplug the HDMI cable from the back of my AMD Radeon 5700XT and plug it back in and it would fix itself. I'm not really sure what could be causing this issue or possible solutions. Tips?

Mobo: ASROCK Z 170 extreme 4
CPU: Intel i5-6600K @ 3.5GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT
PSU: Corsair RMX 750M
Monitor: AOC E2270Sw

Different issue as well. Currently during any process and seemingly at random, the monitor will go into standby and will not fix itself if I replug the monitor like the problem above. My PC doesn't respond to commands either, meaning I need to hit the reset button inorder for it to be useable. This sounds entirely like a separate issue from above, but I'm not sure what is causing the issue here. My friend has the exact same issue and we both have intel CPUs as well as AMD GPUs. This was not a problem previously when I had my Nvidia card, and only occured after installing the AMD card. as well as a new PSU. I believe it's a software issue between the intel CPU and AMD card, but i'm not sure how to disagnose or solve this issue.

If you have any tips for either of these 2 issue it would be a great help to me.

Thank you!

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
What are you overclocking (CPU, GPU, memory), if anything?

What are your CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load?

Nothing OC'd currently.

GPU idle sits at 39C and under load it was roughly 50C

CPU is at 30C idle and I'd say roughly 40C on the CPU under load. I couldn't get a stressful game to not crash even when the temp showed only about 35C.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You should not insert/remove the HDMI cable into/from the GPU while it is powered on. The cable carries live power and that is a good way to permanently damage your system.

Does the system work properly if you remove the 5700 XT and use just your integrated video adapter? How old is your PSU?

Temps are good for idle.

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
You should not insert/remove the HDMI cable into/from the GPU while it is powered on. The cable carries live power and that is a good way to permanently damage your system.

Does the system work properly if you remove the 5700 XT and use just your integrated video adapter? How old is your PSU?

Temps are good for idle.

While I won't disagree that removing live cables from live systems is a bad thing, it reminds me of pulling a flash from a PC without "safetly removing the hardware". While it isn't good for the system, the odds that it actually damages the system are so unlikely I'd rather point to the massive amount of people saying the drivers are trash for this specific card.

Replaced the PSU at the same time i got this card because my PSU died in may. So the PSU is now only 3 months old as well as the card.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
While I won't disagree that removing live cables from live systems is a bad thing, it reminds me of pulling a flash from a PC without "safetly removing the hardware". While it isn't good for the system, the odds that it actually damages the system are so unlikely I'd rather point to the massive amount of people saying the drivers are trash for this specific card.

Replaced the PSU at the same time i got this card because my PSU died in may. So the PSU is now only 3 months old as well as the card.
Piles of 5700 XTs have been sold globally and the vast majority of users (I would guess greater than 99.99%) are using current drivers with no issues.

Understood on the PSU. Is your motherboard BIOS the most recent version available for it?

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
Piles of 5700 XTs have been sold globally and the vast majority of users (I would guess greater than 99.99%) are using current drivers with no issues.

Understood on the PSU. Is your motherboard BIOS the most recent version available for it?
BIOS is up to date. Last one released was march 2018 so I feel like they've heavily stopped updates on my specific board.

I'm confused on my graphics drivers. I'm reading posts on multiple websites saying they're using drivers 19.7.X or 19.9.X but my driver says 19.12.X but it says it's up to date? Seems like I'm using an outdated version to me but it says my drivers are up to date.

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
The latest version is 19.12.3. I installed on one of my systems today. It works great with my Radeon VII.
I have 19.12.2 and it says it's up to date, although there was an optional one I didn't opt in for so that may be the .3 you have. Anyways I haven't actually had the standby issue or green screen since the update as far as a I recall, but I still get crashes from games like space engineers.

I'll update if there's something beyond an ingame crash like what I described in the OP.

Also is it normal for GPUs to be running at 100% usage and then dropping to 30% drasticially over 5 second intervals while ingame? Like my GPU says it'll be running at 100% but won't have fans on at all. It's really odd.

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
So update. Updating the drivers has fixed the overally frequent green screens. Seems just the earlier drivers of the GPU were just poor, and they were eventually fixed. However I still get the occassional green screen now even with the updated drivers. Pulling the HDMI from the GPU and replugging does fix this. Space engineers crashing seems to be a game issue and not on my end.