[SOLVED] Monitor turns black, PC makes a loud whirring noise

Mar 24, 2019
Hey guys.

Recently, about 3 days ago, my PC has started having this issue where the monitor will turn black and this loud whirring noise comes from the PC tower. This tends to only happen when playing Apex Legends. Initially I assumed it was a heating issue, because I've had a heating fan blowing in my direction a few days prior, but this is happening even without that fan being on.

I assumed it was a heating issue so I cleaned the fans inside the tower but the issue is still occurring with the CPU being around 45°C and the GPU only reaching 55°C when I was monitoring it in-game. Any ideas on what this could be since it's also happened once shortly after start-up without a game being played? I've been using MSI Afterburner after this has happened to try and keep the GPU heat minimal but sometimes it still crashes.

Specs:
CPU
Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.50GHz 31 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (10-10-10-27)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H81M-D PLUS (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
Graphics
2250W (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (Gigabyte) 49 °C
Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM ST2000DM001-1CH1 SCSI Disk Device (SATA )
PSU
VENGEANCE Series™ 650M — 650 Watt 80 PLUS® Silver Certified PSU

Solution
Check where this loud noise is coming from. Did you test this with other games or a video benchmark to stress the system. Can try to wipe the video drivers with the DDU program and install them clean again. If that does not help you need to start testing hardware to see where issue is.
Check where this loud noise is coming from. Did you test this with other games or a video benchmark to stress the system. Can try to wipe the video drivers with the DDU program and install them clean again. If that does not help you need to start testing hardware to see where issue is.

Solution