Question Monitor turns off and on while gaming

Apr 25, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'll start with explaning what happened.

Yesterday, while i was playing PUBG, my main monitor suddenly went off and it came back after 40-45 seconds. Screen just went to black, pc and game kept running, i was able to play the game on my 2nd monitor. This issue happened like 10 times in 3 hours of gaming.

When screen goes black, i did not see any signal warning so it looks like monitor is still on power. During the black screen thing, i've checked the screen settings and the monitor that i had black screen was not detected by windows. There was just my 2nd monitor available there.

The GPU isn't going over 70c and the cpu is staying around 45-50c

Here's my system specs;
Mobo: Gigabyte z370
CPU: I7 8700
GPU: Evga GTX 1080
Ram: 8x2 Kingston 2400 MHZ DDR4
PSU: Coolermaster 750W 80+ Bronze 56A@12V (2 years old)
Monitor 1: Casper 27' QHD 1 MS 144hz(This ones goes black screen)
Monitor 2: Viewsonic 27' FHD 1MS 75HZ

Any ideas what can be the reason? Already read some of the forum threads and people saying that it can be related either GPU or PSU. If you have any ideas about what to check on system to find out the faulty part, it'll be appreciated.

Regards,

Apr 25, 2019
Already tried both. Updated driver, changed the cables, tried different power and DP cables. Even tried different ports on GPU. Same monitor, same issue happened.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Was there power going to the monitor at all or did all power disappear from it?

Assuming you tried the same cable and port from the 1st monitor and put it into the 2nd?
Equally if you swap the ports and cables around entirely, does the same single monitor still switch off?

If the problem no matter what cables or ports you use, is only existing on one monitor, it's probably just the monitor unfortunately.

Apr 25, 2019
Thanks for the answer PC Tailor.

Power was not disappearing from the monitor, goes to power saving mode and in a minute it comes back. But when monitor goes to power saving mode, i was not able to see it from graphic settings, monitor was like totally missing, system was not detecting it.

I've tried to swap both ports/cables around and it's still the same monitor that switchs off. Even different power cables did not work. I think i'll go for RMA as i bought this monitor like 20 days ago.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would agree with you my friend.

Ultimately could it be something else, potentially.

But is it worth going through all the hassle of testing, when you only bought it 20 days ago and can RMA it, absolutely not IMO.

It certainly sounds as though the monitor is the culprit if no matter what port on the GPU you use, and no matter how it's configured or wired, it's the same monitor with the problem.

RMA it and get a new one and hopefully the issue should be resolved without leaving you out of pocket. Hope you get it sorted, and please do post back how it goes so that others can see if the replacement works.