Monitor turns off and on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2018
So i have a 22 inch samsung monitor plugged into a power strip which is plugged into a ups and when i plug in a subwoofer in the power strip the monitor either shows a red line in the middle or shuts off and turns on back again for a mere second, also sometimes happens when i turn on the room light off and on, i don't mind this but could it possibly hurt my system? drivers are all up to date and hdmi is plugged in pretty well so i wouldn't think that's the problem, this problem has different interractions when i plug in different things into the power strip.

Solution
I would replace with an LED unit myself or you can just replace the tubes (bulbs) with LED replacements.

I'm thinking its stray RF while the 'bulbs' warm up.

popatim

Titan
Only plug things into the UPS that need to be up so that that you can perform a clean shutdown during a power outage. Plug these directly into the UPS without using powerstrips.

All non-essentials can plug into surge protected power strips that connect directly into the wall unless you do not have clean power in your area. I would suggest a second smaller UPS for these devices in that case.

Aug 28, 2018

I've had this problem way before i bought the ups... I don't mind the blinking i can just not fiddle with the light switch... i m just concerned that it may harm my hardware.

Aug 28, 2018

I have tried to not plug the Sub at all and the problem presists, I've discovered that the issues only happens when i turn the lights on, on some days monitor turns off and on when i switch the room light, and on other days it turns off and on when i switch on the bathroom light so i'm really confused, I could just not use the light switches but i don't mind the blinking and flickering as long as it doesn't hurt nor my Comuputer or my monitor, and isn't the UPS supposed to protect from such electric errors?

Aug 28, 2018

UPS has 2 outlets and nothing indicates that they're different and both are connected to the battery backup because when the UPS is on battery both outlets work

Aug 28, 2018

I don't think i should be reviving an old topic but it seems i have a summary of the problem since i have tried a couple of things and problem still presists, I figured out the problem isn't from the monitor nor the sub since i have plugged them into a whole different outlet, and only the PC is connected to the PSU and It seems like whenever i turn on the lights of the room next to my room, the monitor display blinks then shows some kind of tearing and colored lines which sync with the light, and when the light is fully on there is no issues, Problem isn't causing me any trouble but i am concerned it might hurt my setup in the future.

Aug 28, 2018

It's not a bulb it's a light bar i don't know what it's called i'm not really familliar with those but it is attached from two ends and there's a small individual part that says 90W, After removing the bar and the small thing the issue disappeared and nothing happens when turning on the switch, Also the light bar seems old and needs replacement.

The "light bar": Sounds like you mean a fluorescent tube --- and the "small individual part" will be the cylindrical starter that plugs in to it by bayonet fitting.

The fluorescent tube, the starter, or the light fitting itself may be faulty, causing problems elsewhere. I would replace the entire light-fitting including the fluorescent tube. If problem persists, get your electrics checked out by a qualified electrician.

Status
Not open for further replies.