Monitor turns off for a few seconds when switching on a ceiling fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdotjdot7

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Hello,

So, I have my monitor and computer plugged into a fairly expensive surge protector and whenever I turn on or off the ceiling fan in my room, the monitor turns off for about 2-3 seconds before coming back on. Interestingly enough, this also happens when I turn on the fan in my bathroom as well. What could be causing this, and is there any way to fix this without calling in an electrician who will charge umpteen hundred dollars? Finally, do you think this could be dangerous for my computer?

Solution
You have three possibilities:
1- the display's PSU is excessively sensitive to electrical noise
2- your fans are putting out excessive start-up noise
3- you have an electrical wiring fault such as a weak electrical connection that arcs from surge current your fans draw during start-up or just excessive losses through such a weak connection causing line voltage to dip below the minimum your display needs to stay happy

A good UPS would be able to tell you if it is switching in due to noise, surges, brownouts and possibly other line voltage issues. If the display can gracefully handle getting switched between battery and line power, that should rule out option #1.

jdotjdot7

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013

But as far as I can see, the computer isn't having much of an issue and the monitor also does this when plugged into a separate source that is not a surge protector.

InvalidError

Titan
You have three possibilities:
1- the display's PSU is excessively sensitive to electrical noise
2- your fans are putting out excessive start-up noise
3- you have an electrical wiring fault such as a weak electrical connection that arcs from surge current your fans draw during start-up or just excessive losses through such a weak connection causing line voltage to dip below the minimum your display needs to stay happy

A good UPS would be able to tell you if it is switching in due to noise, surges, brownouts and possibly other line voltage issues. If the display can gracefully handle getting switched between battery and line power, that should rule out option #1.

Solution

jdotjdot7

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013

I had heard that a UPS might be able to solved the problem, so basically, if that doesn't work, then I'd likely need to get an electrician.

InvalidError

Titan

An UPS should not be necessary under normal circumstances so if the UPS "works," it proves that your "normal" circumstances are abnormal and should be looked at.

Your wiring issue could be as simple as a loose connection in one of the electrical boxes between the breaker and your outlet. Usually, power is daisy-chained through and fanned-out from ceiling light boxes. Those should not be too hard to check. If you find a wire nut that has wires with brittle or discolored insulation near them, you probably found your problem - assuming you are comfortable with that level of electrical work and your local code allows trivial DIY jobs like those.

Apr 2, 2020
Hello,

So, I have my monitor and computer plugged into a fairly expensive surge protector and whenever I turn on or off the ceiling fan in my room, the monitor turns off for about 2-3 seconds before coming back on. Interestingly enough, this also happens when I turn on the fan in my bathroom as well. What could be causing this, and is there any way to fix this without calling in an electrician who will charge umpteen hundred dollars? Finally, do you think this could be dangerous for my computer?

There's no problem in any of your circuits, Just Change your HDMI Cable with a HighQuality New one which has shielding on it for voltage noise & Stay Happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS