Question Monitor turns off, while playing videogames.

Alex_473

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
Hello, my girlfriend's been having issues with her PC lately and I can't quite figure out the problem. First things first, I'd love if you let me know what types of diagnostics would you want me to run.

The story is: I used to use this pc for years, I bought the base back in 2015 and in 2016 I switched the GPU and CPU. The parts are:

GPU: 1060 6GB
CPU: i7 4790k
RAM: Kingston 8GB
Generic PSU that came with the PC case.
Generic ASRock motherboard I bought as a 2nd hand, because I needed a new one at some point and there were no new ones in Bulgaria.

Last October I bought myself a new PC and gave her this one, up until then I've never had such problems, I've had it running without turning it off for a night or two in a row, no issues. The only thing we've switched is the main monitor. Back then I was using a 1080p unit as a main monitor and a 1600x900 monitor as a secondary one. I gave her the 1600x900 one as her main monitor. The problem started to occur almost instantly, she plays a certain game and suddenly the monitor turns off (a big box, saying "lost connection" or whatever pops up, like if her cable is unplugged) but she can still hear her game and her character moving (she can literally play the game, move the character, etc). It happens instantly on sims, as I load the world, the monitor just goes off and it happens periodically on valorant. My 2 main suspects are the SSD and the monitor. The monitor is self explanatory, the resolution is weird, I just don't really know how am I supposed to test it out. My 2nd suspect is the SSD because in HD Sentinel her SSD's "health" is 96%, which is supposed to mean there are some "bad' sectors? I'm not a professional, I just watch a lot of videos and read a lot of stuff, that's why I'm writing here, I'd love it if someone invests some time into helping me. I will try to respond as often as I can around my university hours with screenshots and diagnostics. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Alex_473

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
I totally forgot to mention. Sometimes but only sometimes the ventilators of the CPU cooler and the GPU go crazy like if they've been turned up to max speed in afterburner.

Last edited: