Monitor turns on then off, replaced capacitors already

colin9001

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
I decided to try and fix an Asus monitor that died about a year ago after doing some research on the problem. It seemed to be pretty common and a rather simple fix so i picked up some soldering tools, capacitors, and went at it. There was no visible capacitor damage but I read that it could still be dried out on the inside. To my disappointment, it still had the same issue when i powered it back up. I made sure everything was plugged in properly and that the capacitors were properly soldered in.
Could there be any other reasons why it is doing this?

colin9001

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
damn I need to check which board I was changing the capcitors on.. Pretty sure it was the larger one. I'll open up the monitor when i get home in an hour to check on the other board I have yet to look at.

How would you go about replacing the power board, are they all the same in each monitor or do you buy components to fix it or what?

plankieee

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2013
Does you monitor work continuously for a period of time, then start turning on and off? If so, I would try the following which ever is easier in your case then move onto the next one.

_a) Power off you computer for a one or two hours; then turn it on and write down the time it was turn on, and approximate room temperature, and get an approximate time when the screen/display/monitor starts flashing; and the room temperature.

_b) if your monitor has a brightness adjustment turn it down to the lowest level that is tolerable /desirable for you (this should consume less power; i.e., indicates thermal problem), it doesn't need to be at 100% brightness unless lower brightness is not tolerable for your situation. This assume your monitor has such an adjustment.

_c) Reduce the bits used per pixel from True Color (32 bits) to High Color (16 bits) for Window 7
Control Panel > Display > Adjust Resolution > Advanced Settings > Monitor Tab > Color (selection True or High Color). If this is tolerable on quality of display by using High Color go with it; some people see significant difference in the quality of the display, I do not however, no difference.

_d) Pull or reposition the monitor so that it is a couple feet away from the wall, and if available point a room fan into that space or back of monitor, after it has been turn off for one hour for good air flow.

_e) Perhaps turn down your Air Conditioning and try early in the morning and have the monitor in an area with good air circulation (perhaps use a room fan or like)

_f) Bring your monitor to a place that has a air compressor (commercial or industrial quality (not the local gas station, probably doesn't have “gadget to remove separates the water” a water separator is what I think it is called… these (commercial/industrial) typically have a water filter/separator to remove water from compressed air line) to blow out dust from the back of your monitor (then try above steps). I doubt a compressed air can for $4.00 at a discount store has the same volume, nor PSI … bring your computer too and laptop if you have one an blow them out also. (test for no water in air jet/stream/flow prior to using it on your computers or electronics)

_g) Most problems with electrical and electronic equipment has been proven to be electrical connectors; check the connectors, you can even try the connectors inside the monitor (see you tube possible disassembly instructions). This might be related to thermal problem, metal expands. Tape is use on several of my connectors in my monitors to secure the connector typically only on the ribbon cable connector. Also try a short and known/proven monitor cable (VGA./DVI/HDMI) a ground pin or other might of open broken (also no sharp right angle turns in the cable)

_h) There might be a electrolytic capacitor that is shorting out, a “dendrite” for instant shorting out an electrolytic capacitor, then the high current burns through the “dendrite” and the monitor “resets”, then it dendrite grows again and causes yet another short

_i) Thermal safety circuitry in the monitor; after a certain temperature is reached the monitor automatically cuts off power (i.e., the monitor “flashes”)

If it not a high end monitor perhaps consider another monitor; If it is a high end monitor, and it is a thermal problem (a monitor that just runs hot), and not a electrolytic capacitor problem, you might consider getting a computer case fan; and a transformer (use a 12 Volt computer chassis fan (Antec) low noise - I would strongly suggest) and place it over the lower air vent (cut out a section of plastic out the back would double air flow, remove the back of the plastic cover from the rest of the monitor before you do this however, would strongly recommend a wire fan guard -see ebay for fan guard) . I had perhaps a similar problem on one of my monitors; two of the same model, one started “flashing/turning on and off” after several hours, There as a 24 Fahrenheit difference in temperature at the upper part of the two different monitors (portrait mode (i.e., monitor sits on it's side not it's “bottom”), which does not help, since the air vents were seemly design for Landscape mode (sits on it's “bottom”) (see step C above, selection here is on/at the adjustment window) , if so, might consider drilling some extra ventilation holes top and bottom (if so remove the back cover prior to drilling holes) Note – Resale value of your monitor by cutting holes in the back, will probably significantly diminish it's value if one ever trys to resell it. Again perhaps you tube web site has a video demo for taking the back cover off.

As a rule of thumb, for every ten degree centigrade the case.die,transistor junction temperature rises, the statistical life of the electronics drop by 50%, geometrical/exponential growth, i.e, a 20 C rise, 25% of it life. If you recap the monitor, make sure one uses 105 C capacitors, not 85 C capacitors, cost probably 5% more in parts cost.

One could use heat sinks on on the back of the interior metal to help on heat dissipation; if you do; I would avoid thermal tape to secure the heat sinks; strongly suggest use only thermal compound (glue/epoxy), it's permanent. Only way to remove the heat sink(s) is by perhaps very high temperature.

colin9001, if the capacitors you replaced were on a board with your video connectors then that was the monitor's video controller, if they were on the board with the ac power connector then that is the power board. look for any silver top can capacitors that are domed even slightly or leaking brown stuff & replace it\them. I've done that on about 4 monitors, numerous power supplies & motherboards but then that was my job working at Celestica. what is the make & model# of the monitor?

plankieee

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2013
This seems to have be a work around to what seems to be a power or thermal problem on two monitors (1920 x 1200 resolution) or graphics card, I do suspect it is a monitor problem. One monitor was flickering, the other was one going on and off; when one or several windows with a white background covered the majority of the screen. I changed the background color of my most frequently used applications from all white (i.e., spreadsheet, text editor), and the web browser, and this seems be a work around.

Basically, I used a search engine to search for how to change background window color each specific application(s) and change the "default" , high intensity, all white window background to a light grey ; for my frequently used applications; note on my web browser, firefox, some websites over ride this light grey background color; but, not all; This doesn't seem to be a major problem for me, so far.

Note the hex code for the color in my case was set at #FFFFFF and I changed several applications to to like #BBBBBB on several of my applications; The hex code break down to Red, Green, Blue, two hexadecimal numbers for each color.

following "borrowed" from Sept 2015 from webpage http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_colors_legal.asp
#p1 {background-color: #ff0000;} /* red */
#p2 {background-color: #00ff00;} /* green */
#p3 {background-color: #0000ff;} /* blue */