[SOLVED] monitor upgrade

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
hi, simple enough question. i'm thinking of upgrading my monitor and was going to ask the forum 'Who Suggests What?"
i don't need nor want much, mab 35"-40" curved with decent performance for mid-range gaming. but realized that i was probably being lazy by asking before researching (what a surprise) so i did some legwork/window shopping and i realize monitors have come a long way since last i looked. so, my question now is, 'recommended reading before monitor purchase?' is there a definitive 'read' you can suggest that will explain the tech and answer my questions. i understand Refresh and Response but it looks like these new monitors are a whole new toy.
advice would be appreciated.

Solution
funnily(READ:strangely) enough i found a discarded LG monitor yesterday evening (probably someone upgraded) but, and here's the thing, not only does it work but it stands almost parallel with my current monitor (an LG, also).
yes i'm pretty sure that's the Twilight Zone theme song your hearing.
i didn't want the clutter of two screens but have to admit this is pretty cool.
yeah i still want a big curved screen but this'l do for now.
ps. THANKS for the reading recommendations. they really helped!

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
funnily(READ:strangely) enough i found a discarded LG monitor yesterday evening (probably someone upgraded) but, and here's the thing, not only does it work but it stands almost parallel with my current monitor (an LG, also).
yes i'm pretty sure that's the Twilight Zone theme song your hearing.
i didn't want the clutter of two screens but have to admit this is pretty cool.
yeah i still want a big curved screen but this'l do for now.
ps. THANKS for the reading recommendations. they really helped!

Solution
Research carefully.
A monitor tends to be a long term purchase.
Bust your budget if you need to for one you really like.

Seeing the actual monitor in a store is best.
As to technology, consider your usage.
If image quality means a lot, like for sims, mmo or strategy games, then look for a monitor with a ips type panel and a 178/178 viewing angle.
A larger/wider monitor is more immersive for gaming.
Once you get to the 35" size, a slight curve is probably a good idea.

OTOH, if you are a fast action gamer, the tn panels will be faster but the image quality is not as good.
For fast action, some frame matching capability like freesync/g.sync can be good.
If your graphics card is a more modern nvidia card, then the triple buffering in the driver will accomplish much of the same thing.

Reactions: Cuss_ed

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
Research carefully.
A monitor tends to be a long term purchase.
Bust your budget if you need to for one you really like.

Seeing the actual monitor in a store is best.
As to technology, consider your usage.
If image quality means a lot, like for sims, mmo or strategy games, then look for a monitor with a ips type panel and a 178/178 viewing angle.
A larger/wider monitor is more immersive for gaming.
Once you get to the 35" size, a slight curve is probably a good idea.

OTOH, if you are a fast action gamer, the tn panels will be faster but the image quality is not as good.
For fast action, some frame matching capability like freesync/g.sync can be good.
If your graphics card is a more modern nvidia card, then the triple buffering in the driver will accomplish much of the same thing.

thanks very much. this is exactly what i was after.
lloks like 'panel type' research is my next step.