Discussion Monitor upgrade

gui0312

Reputable
Mar 15, 2017
Hey guys, soo I have an Alienware 34" UW 3814 I believe back in 2018, no HDR and max is 120hz. I just got my PC upgraded and got a 3080ti had 1080ti for the last 4 years so I'm thinking of upgrading my monitor. Trying to see what is better at this point.

Things I like
  • 32" or larger screen.
  • HDR
  • Curved screen if possible

I've seen some LG C1 reviews as a gaming monitor and while the results seem nice I am not sure of the screen size being that close to it. I'd be roughly 3FT from it on the wall from where I sit on my desk.

I'm kinda in between do I want UW again, straight 2560x1440 or 4K. I've been leaning toward 4K that way I have the highest resolution but can lower it based on games I play that may be more demanding. That being said I am playing Halo, Dying Light 2, Witcher 3 soon, Elden Ring soon, Overwatch, maybe some other shooter like Warzone eventually.

I'm interested in getting better color accuracy, HDR, and most likely 4K or am I not getting much over the current monitor I have (Alienware 3418dw)

Anything else anyone can recommend will be appreciated.

Thank you.

thinking of upgrading my monitor
i'm have both a 55" LG CX HDR 4K 120Hz and a 34" Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 120Hz connected.
i still enjoy gaming on the 34" ultra-wide much more than the larger 55" HDR.

the high DCI-P3 % color of the 34" still looks as good as the high level HDR of the 55" in most games.
plus sitting closer with the ultra-wide curved screen offers much better immersion.

i would suggest going out to multiple local computer shops and retailers like Best Buy and seeing what they have on display.
then you can compare the differences out there in person rather than just going by some forum members' opinions.

maybe also check if Dell has a trade-up option for a better version of a similar monitor available.
seen some LG C1 reviews as a gaming monitor and while the results seem nice I am not sure of the screen size being that close to it. I'd be roughly 3FT from it
i position my chair ~3-4' from the 55" when i'm using it and it's a pretty comfortable distance for gaming.